We ran for 183 yards against Iowa

greenminer

We played vs a very vanilla called game for Iowa. Minimal to 0 run blitzes. Minimal to 0 stunts. 183 yards was there for the taking. 

Also, all this talk about them being a top 25 team and a "very good team" is complete bs. They are a meddling middle of the pack big10 team, as usual. Illinois State gave them a far closer game than we would only dream of. Pitt almost beat them and Pitt's best player on the team (2014 ACC player of the year) is out for the year.  Iowa will go their usual 7-5/8-4, as usual. Not to mention Iowa State is horrible, as usual. That game was 17-17 going into the 4th quarter vs Iowa.  And verbal reassurances to our fan base are not going to fly. SMU is not very good...we lost to them with relative ease. Rice let Baylor drop 70 on them. Rice could have beat us by 40 if they really wanted to. Iowa has struggled through their first 3 games vs bad teams and against us they looked like they should be competing for a national championship. Bottom line to all of this...we suck....bad. We will get beat with relative ease at Southern Miss and to coin a phrase from Mac, "no doubt about it." It's embarrassing to say that I am looking forward to checking out this Portland St game because it will be a competitive game. 

I really think we might be the worst team in FBS football. In our coaching staffs 5th year. Thanks, RV. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

We played vs a very vanilla called game for Iowa. Minimal to 0 run blitzes. Minimal to 0 stunts. 183 yards was there for the taking. 

Also, all this talk about them being a top 25 team and a "very good team" is complete bs. They are a meddling middle of the pack big10 team, as usual. Illinois State gave them a far closer game than we would only dream of. Pitt almost beat them and Pitt's best player on the team (2014 ACC player of the year) is out for the year.  Iowa will go their usual 7-5/8-4, as usual. Not to mention Iowa State is horrible, as usual. That game was 17-17 going into the 4th quarter vs Iowa.  And verbal reassurances to our fan base are not going to fly. SMU is not very good...we lost to them with relative ease. Rice let Baylor drop 70 on them. Rice could have beat us by 40 if they really wanted to. Iowa has struggled through their first 3 games vs bad teams and against us they looked like they should be competing for a national championship. Bottom line to all of this...we suck....bad. We will get beat with relative ease at Southern Miss and to coin a phrase from Mac, "no doubt about it." It's embarrassing to say that I am looking forward to checking out this Portland St game because it will be a competitive game. 

I really think we might be the worst team in FBS football. In our coaching staffs 5th year. Thanks, RV. 

Disagree Iowa is a good team. They will be good all year.

Iowa isn't a team that stunts or has a lot of run  blitzes. They win at the LOS and with fundamentals. Our OL did a good job yesterday against one of the best DLs in the Big Ten  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Teams tend to let up when they are ahead 48-16 in the 3rd. 

Just sayin...

I get that.  I also think teams tend to abandon the run when the game gets away from them.  Once Greer threw that pick 6, it is obvious we didn't want to take any more chances through the air.

My point in posting this was not Kram-esque: I am not trying to blindly ignore the doom and gloom ahead of us.  I just thought our run performance was worth noting and discussing.  Wilson, Jimmy and Ivery have looked good at times.  Maybe it's nothing, but we have pieces in place to continue our tradition of great RB performances.

A few specifics:

• Iowa was allowing ~50/game on the ground coming in.  We eclipsed that in the first half when the score was "still" 21-3, a sum that factors in an 11 yard loss on a McNulty sack.
  • Halftime we had 88 yards
  • We had 5 runs that were each at least 10 yards.

This team may not win a game this year, but I can still be positive about a few individual players.

BTW, here are the MGS highlights. 

• Upvote 3

Disagree Iowa is a good team. They will be good all year.

Iowa isn't a team that stunts or has a lot of run  blitzes. They win at the LOS and with fundamentals. Our OL did a good job yesterday against one of the best DLs in the Big Ten  

They may finish at 9-3 this year, at best. Their schedule is horrible this year. No Michigan, Michigan St or Ohio St. If you draw that schedule from the west you better set yourself up for a fantastic season. I still think they go 4-4 the rest of the way and end the year at 8-4. Loses to starting next week @ Wisconsin, @ Northwestern, vs Minnesota and @ Nebraska. So, 8-4 with a cream puff in conference and OOC schedule is not a "good" team. They are a respectable team that will get to their status quo of 8-4. That's Iowa, they live for those 8-4 seasons. Kirk Ferentz is in his 17th year at Iowa. He has averaged winning 7.43 wins a year. Right in line with what I am saying. They are a middle of the pack big10 team. IF they sneak into the top25 it will ONLY be because of their very easy schedule. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

They may finish at 9-3 this year, at best. Their schedule is horrible this year. No Michigan, Michigan St or Ohio St. If you draw that schedule from the west you better set yourself up for a fantastic season. I still think they go 4-4 the rest of the way and end the year at 8-4. Loses to starting next week @ Wisconsin, @ Northwestern, vs Minnesota and @ Nebraska. So, 8-4 with a cream puff in conference and OOC schedule is not a "good" team. They are a respectable team that will get to their status quo of 8-4. That's Iowa, they live for those 8-4 seasons. Kirk Ferentz is in his 17th year at Iowa. He has averaged winning 7.43 wins a year. Right in line with what I am saying. They are a middle of the pack big10 team. IF they sneak into the top25 it will ONLY be because of their very easy schedule. 

Say they go 8-4 and lose their Bowl game ending up 8-5.  Stanford went 8-5 last year and ended up #25.  Middle of the pack in a Power league often IS ranked at season's end.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

Ok? 

Iowa isn't very good. There is no need trying to sugar coat our drubbing. We got slaughtered by a mediocre team. 

On a side note, they drew good fortune by picking up Maryland and Indiana from the east div. 

We're at a point where there's no need to piss on another team to reinforce how bad we are.

On a side note, we might actually have decent guys at RB.

• Upvote 3

Top 25 is good....that is my point.  If there are 120ish teams....and you're ranked at season's end...you're in the top 20% give or take.  If that is mediocre, than oh well.

They will not be a top 25 team and that is my point. They very well might get ran through vs a very soft schedule. Contrary to what they looked like vs us, they have about 0 explosiveness on offense. That will catch up to them, quickly and often. 

• Downvote 1

They will not be a top 25 team and that is my point. They very well might get ran through vs a very soft schedule. Contrary to what they looked like vs us, they have about 0 explosiveness on offense. That will catch up to them, quickly and often. 

You said that an 8-4 team power conference squad was mediocre.  I pointed out Stanford was 8-5 and ranked in the final poll --- hence basically where you predict this Iowa to be. 

Now not all "big boys" with that record will get ranked, but obviously you're in the conversation to be.

• Upvote 1