Power 5 Voting

NT03

What exactly is this covering beyond books, room & board, etc? Seems like "miscellaneous expenses" can't be that much of a bump. In my mind with their autonomy granted along with inevitably being able to pay their athletes soon the P5 is already in another division. Most of us knew this was just a matter of time.

• Upvote 1

For once UNT90, I completely agree with you. The cheating will be full scale and out of control... and that's the way the P5 wants it.

So let them do it...I wish that the G5 wouldn't even try to cover this extra expense at all--just traditional scholarships only. Then the legalization of this corrupt monopoly can truly get publicized for all the issues that are about to follow...car dealerships giving cars away, Bob's Steak and Chophouse prices becoming the per diem for food, etc... Then the P5 media can have a field day eating up their own.

The G5 needs to really band together and figure out what they want to be instead of just waiting until the P5s just officially pull away. Tell the P5s that we are willing to separate on two conditions only: the NCAA Tournaments and the College World Series don't get touched. Then, the G5/FCS should put together NFL-like spending limits for the programs (both in a floor and a ceiling) to keep this from getting way out of hand. Get a couple of networks to become your TV partners and give them full flexibility to determine games that get put on for the best slots. Make the conferences travel-friendly like the MWC and MAC already are--no more SBCUSAAC fiascos where people won't "lower" themselves to play in a conference with someone less than an hour or two away. If you don't like it, drop football (SMU)...And finally, setup a FCS playoff system to be played during December when the bowls influence keeps the P5s from playing until the last part of the month. Use this to your advantage to have college football to yourself--and then sell the hell out of the fact that this level of football is truly collegiate, not minor leagues for the NFL. You'll never compete with the P5s, but you can hope to instill in your own fanbase the pride of still being focused on student-athletes. And this isn't the Ivy League or FCS-level, either--you coordinate this to make sure that every commercial, every advertisement, every PR move hits you over the head continuously about this being full scholarship football for 85 kids. Show how those kids have used this to obtain degrees that are used today--if you want to use stories of the NFL kids that come from here, that's fine, but your truest advantage is giving kids a chance to play football for a full scholarship and how that scholarship is being used to help kids get a degree from college.

What we (the G5) are doing right now is not sustainable, not a good mdoel to build on, and just fools the fans of certain programs into believing something that isn't true (looking at you UH). There are about 4-6 G5 schools who have a shot to move up the foodchain--and not one of them is in this state or region. UConn, Cincy, Boise State, UCF, USF, and Memphis are the only schools that can hope and pray the ACC or Big 12 expands and holds in its existence for decades to follow. To me, there's a better chance of the Big 12 imploding, leaving behind schools to the G5 (I'm looking at you Baylor and TCU) than they are to survive long-term. You have three valuable commodities in that conference (Texas, OU, and KU), along with four schools that are going to have options (Tech, OSU, KSU, and WVU), and three that are SOL (BU, TCU, and ISU). But no matter what happens, there are no more than 4 schools of that G5 group I listed that have any chance of moving up, of which UH, SMU, and other AAC teams not named UConn or Cincy aren't any of them. So, from there, geography plays the first role in determining your new conferences, not media markets or the "interests" of nearby schools being in the same conference (I'm looking at you SMU, La Tech, and UTEP)...To me, that is the only sustainable long-term plan you can have if you are on the outside looking in--but until the MWC, AAC, and CUSA commissioners stop fooling themselves into believing we can do the same things that the P5s are doing, then youre gonna continue to see this eventual train wreck keep moving straight toward the bridge that no longer has any tracks left for the G5 locomotive...

So let them do it...I wish that the G5 wouldn't even try to cover this extra expense at all--just traditional scholarships only. Then the legalization of this corrupt monopoly can truly get publicized for all the issues that are about to follow...car dealerships giving cars away, Bob's Steak and Chophouse prices becoming the per diem for food, etc... Then the P5 media can have a field day eating up their own.

The G5 needs to really band together and figure out what they want to be instead of just waiting until the P5s just officially pull away. Tell the P5s that we are willing to separate on two conditions only: the NCAA Tournaments and the College World Series don't get touched. Then, the G5/FCS should put together NFL-like spending limits for the programs (both in a floor and a ceiling) to keep this from getting way out of hand. Get a couple of networks to become your TV partners and give them full flexibility to determine games that get put on for the best slots. Make the conferences travel-friendly like the MWC and MAC already are--no more SBCUSAAC fiascos where people won't "lower" themselves to play in a conference with someone less than an hour or two away. If you don't like it, drop football (SMU)...And finally, setup a FCS playoff system to be played during December when the bowls influence keeps the P5s from playing until the last part of the month. Use this to your advantage to have college football to yourself--and then sell the hell out of the fact that this level of football is truly collegiate, not minor leagues for the NFL. You'll never compete with the P5s, but you can hope to instill in your own fanbase the pride of still being focused on student-athletes. And this isn't the Ivy League or FCS-level, either--you coordinate this to make sure that every commercial, every advertisement, every PR move hits you over the head continuously about this being full scholarship football for 85 kids. Show how those kids have used this to obtain degrees that are used today--if you want to use stories of the NFL kids that come from here, that's fine, but your truest advantage is giving kids a chance to play football for a full scholarship and how that scholarship is being used to help kids get a degree from college.

What we (the G5) are doing right now is not sustainable, not a good mdoel to build on, and just fools the fans of certain programs into believing something that isn't true (looking at you UH). There are about 4-6 G5 schools who have a shot to move up the foodchain--and not one of them is in this state or region. UConn, Cincy, Boise State, UCF, USF, and Memphis are the only schools that can hope and pray the ACC or Big 12 expands and holds in its existence for decades to follow. To me, there's a better chance of the Big 12 imploding, leaving behind schools to the G5 (I'm looking at you Baylor and TCU) than they are to survive long-term. You have three valuable commodities in that conference (Texas, OU, and KU), along with four schools that are going to have options (Tech, OSU, KSU, and WVU), and three that are SOL (BU, TCU, and ISU). But no matter what happens, there are no more than 4 schools of that G5 group I listed that have any chance of moving up, of which UH, SMU, and other AAC teams not named UConn or Cincy aren't any of them. So, from there, geography plays the first role in determining your new conferences, not media markets or the "interests" of nearby schools being in the same conference (I'm looking at you SMU, La Tech, and UTEP)...To me, that is the only sustainable long-term plan you can have if you are on the outside looking in--but until the MWC, AAC, and CUSA commissioners stop fooling themselves into believing we can do the same things that the P5s are doing, then youre gonna continue to see this eventual train wreck keep moving straight toward the bridge that no longer has any tracks left for the G5 locomotive...

Bravo. Well said. Send this to every G5 conference commish immediately. G5 must act and do every single thing possible to have some sort of upper hand. First thing that comes to mind right off the bat is scheduling. Quit letting them, for the most part, practice on us. Let the P5 mulch each other up on and off the field.

Thank God Jim isn't a part of our leadership. Otherwise, we wouldn't have a brand new 40,000+ seat stadium nor would Tom Herman be our head coach.

Hell, with that mindset, why try to compete at all?

So exactly where do you see UH going to "compete" with all those P5 schools you think you should be with?

You guys needed the 40k new stadium for the same reason we needed the 30k new stadium--the former stadiums were decrepit. I

You hired Tom Herman because the other guy was a deemed a failure after Sumlin left. Kudos to your university's leadership for canning him after three years--wish we did that as well. But Herman is no different thant anyone else you guys have hired since the post SWC breakup. UH is a step up job--just as almost every G5 school is. You are no different than the rest of us. You want to believe differently, but its very true. You will see that in time the P5s will fully separate and your AAC experience/experiment will be too costly to keep up with. Everyone can see that coming from a mile away--except for you...which surprises no one.

• Upvote 1