Road Warriors -- What I really want to know

oldguystudent

I listen to radio shows and I hear of the great home field advantage we have at Apogee. Indeed, we are a very respectable 16-7 at home for a .696 winning percentage.

But let's be fair. We've scheduled some real cupcakes at home, so I'm going to remove Texas Southern, Idaho, and Nicholls State from the win total (I'm going to leave SMU because I don't think we knew just how awful they would be this year). Now our home record stands at 13-7 for a .650 winning percentage. Still pretty damn impressive. Keep that kind of winning percentage across the board, and you're looking at 7.8 regular season wins a year.

But then they fire up the bus, we go on the road, and we stare in the face of an overall 5-19 record. That's right. 5-19. Winning percentage there is a meager .208 (still, stunningly, better than the previous regime). But just like home, let's be fair about the money games. I'm going to remove Texas, Alabama, LSU, Kansas State, and Georgia from the loss column. Now we're at 5-14 for a slightly improved winning percentage of .263. Keep that kind of winning percentage across the board, and you're looking at 3.2 regular season wins a year.

So, no, really, I want to know. We have enough of a data sample to clearly show that Mac's teams go on the road and for the most part just roll over and play dead. Why? What needs to change? Are the 20,000 strong crowds at Apogee enough to turn the tide?

Meanwhile, going in to this week's game against UTSA, I'm predicting another letdown, much confusion of why we played who/how we did, and a final season tally of 4-8.

Upside, we finished 4-8 in 2012 that led directly to the glorious season that was 2013. Maybe the old Howard Jones song was right, Things Can Only Get Better.

• Upvote 1

To win on the road you have to have better preparation because you lose time to work on things due to the travel.

You have to also play aggressive to win on another team's homefield. Cant give them any hope or let the crowd get into it.

You also have to be able to make quick adjustments on the fly. Many things you cant control on the road. On and off the field.

Preparation, adjustments, aggressiveness...things we struggle with. Even when we were winning...