UNT not ready ‘to throw in the towel’

Harry

Little has gone the way North Texas had hoped this football season.

The Mean Green have been blown out more than once and blew an opportunity to get off to a quick start in Conference USA play.

Coach Dan McCarney and his players were adamant this week that they still have a chance to rally and won’t back off in terms of their push for a second straight bowl berth, no matter how dire the circumstances appear.

They certainly don’t appear particularly favorable heading into a game against Southern Mississippi on Saturday at Apogee Stadium. UNT (2-4) fell to 0-2 in C-USA play Saturday when UAB blew past the Mean Green 56-21.

“I don’t sense anyone wanting to throw in the towel because we are not where we want to be,” McCarney said. “I would have loved to have won more games, but this season is not over. I don’t sense any of that. I sense a real dedication from all of our guys — coaches and players alike — to getting back to doing some really positive things.”

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20141014-notebook-unt-not-ready-to-throw-in-the-towel.ece

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: nonhitchhiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, washcloth, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet-weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitchhiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitchhiker might accidentally have "lost." What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the Galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
  • Upvote 1

One thing I notice from Mac's comments is that Dajon was not getting rid of the ball as soon as he was supposed to be. This makes me feel better about our o-line and our chances to improve this season. The interceptions are correctable = Dajon this is what you do - so not as much improvisation.

One thing I notice from Mac's comments is that Dajon was not getting rid of the ball as soon as he was supposed to be. This makes me feel better about our o-line and our chances to improve this season. The interceptions are correctable = Dajon this is what you do - so not as much improvisation.

Things like this are why it's not good to play teams as bad as Nicholls State. Obviously we didn't know that NS was going to be this bad when we scheduled them, but you have to strike a good balance between overly good and overly bad teams on the schedule. Either one provides little development of the team. Of course I say this about a team that still hasn't scheduled its 6th home game, so I guess it's like they say about beggars being choosey.