Is Cyril Lemon going to play tackle or guard?

Harry

A lot of good pub for Lemon as of late had me thinking... There have been varying reports as to whether or not he will play tackle or guard this season. Does anyone have anything update on this? I know that him playing tackle will make him more attractive at the next level, but I would sure like to see us ween a younger player at tackle if we could like Rentfro etc.. Looking at the 2015 season, we lose both our tackles if Lemon moves over there as he and Antonio Johnson will both graduate.

That said, with a new QB we need to be especially solid at tackle this season.

I disagree with people saying that Tackle will make him look more draftable in the eyes of scouts. I'd be surprised if you could find one starting tackle in the NFL at 6'3" or below, which is what Lemon is. Plus, he was solid at tackle last year but not NFL caliber, like he is at guard. He's a guard all the way in the NFL, regardless of where he plays this year.

If I had to guess I'd say the addition of Darren Denucci was one to get a guy to come in and compete for the starting right tackle spot immediately. If he's (or Renfro is) one of your best 5 linemen then you move Cyril back to guard. If he isn't then Cyril will likely play tackle.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

UNT experimented with a lineup that had first-team all-conference guard Cyril Lemon at tackle. McCarney and his staff say that while Lemon can plan any of the five positions on the line, he is best at guard.

The addition of Denucci gives UNT another option to replace right tackle LaChris Anyiam, who graduated after last season.

If Denucci and Rentfro can hold down the tackle job, that would allow Lemon to move back inside and give UNT the additional depth McCarney has tried to build throughout his tenure.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20140517-football-lineman-commits-to-unt.ece

I just don't think the coaching staff makes comments like that if they're planning on keeping Lemon at tackle.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

I wonder if it's similar to stretching out a bullpen pitcher in spring training to have a look at him as a starter. You know you've got a stud reliever but owe it to both the player and the team to see if there's a fit at a more impactful position.

I like the idea of giving it an extended run in the fall so that, in the event of injury or under-performance, he can slide out to OT mid-season. But because the UT tape will be where scouts/analysts head as their draft grading begins, I'd like to see him at guard in Austin.