'15 DE Kenneth Mann

BillySee58

man he would make a great DT

GO

I am totally kidding but he is playing a lot of 4i technique in the 3-4 scheme Burleson is running

I think the main reason he is playing on the LOS in their 3-4 has more to do with Burleson needing him there. If he played on a loaded football team with an odd front, like Allen, then he'd probably be an even better fit at Rush/Jack/Leo outside linebacker in a 3-4. Burleson needs him inside the tackle.

As for college, Mann looks like he'd best fit at end in a 4-3. I don't think he has the natural bulk/thickness (let's be mature guys, you can do it) to play inside. He could, but I think it'd be more forced than a natural transition.

In the event that we were to land Mann, or ends like him, my hope is that we can also start landing guys with the size to play nose as well as guys like TJ Tauaalo, 275-295 with quickness, to play the 3-tech. Then, you only move the ends inside if the growth happens naturally, rather than forcing it.

I talked about Dailon Holmes having the potential to play inside because I see the frame, bulk, and upper body that would translate inside. Not forced or out of necessity.

I know you said you were kidding, MEANGREENCOACH2, but I was just giving my 2 cents on defensive position changes.

• Upvote 2

I'm kinda torn on him. I think he plays with a hand on the ground, whether outside or inside. I see what you mean about him being more slender, angular big-framed kid than the type who could relatively easily put 40-50 pounds on himself to move inside.

But at the same time, quality interiors are really hard to find and though he may not fit the body type perfectly, if he can play there and play well at maybe 6-4, 275, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

• Upvote 1

I'm kinda torn on him. I think he plays with a hand on the ground, whether outside or inside. I see what you mean about him being more slender, angular big-framed kid than the type who could relatively easily put 40-50 pounds on himself to move inside.

But at the same time, quality interiors are really hard to find and though he may not fit the body type perfectly, if he can play there and play well at maybe 6-4, 275, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

What makes Mann interesting is that he has the height and the broad shoulders to add plenty of weight. This will allow him to gain plenty of weight, but he does not have the prototypical upper body bulk to play inside though. His arms and his chest, and upper body play don't scream DT to me, although he is still just a junior in high school.

I think the best case for Mann is that he stays in the 250s and works on his speed and agility and stays at strong-side defensive end. In the end, this conversation is likely irrelevant, especially considering we are almost a year from signing day and Mann may not even considering us in the end, just makes for good discussion

What makes Mann interesting is that he has the height and the broad shoulders to add plenty of weight. This will allow him to gain plenty of weight, but he does not have the prototypical upper body bulk to play inside though. His arms and his chest, and upper body play don't scream DT to me, although he is still just a junior in high school.

I think the best case for Mann is that he stays in the 250s and works on his speed and agility and stays at strong-side defensive end. In the end, this conversation is likely irrelevant, especially considering we are almost a year from signing day and Mann may not even considering us in the end, just makes for good discussion

EXACTLY what else am i supposed to do at work right!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The offense tended to have its success going away from strong side defensive end Kenneth Mann, who has offers from Houston, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech and North Texas. The 6-foot-5, 240-pound senior-to-be also has interest from Baylor and Oklahoma, in addition to about 11 other FBS schools, according to Elks coach Gary McElroy.

Read more: http://www.burlesonstar.net/ci_25842588

• 1 month later...

Burleson defensive end Kenneth Mann has received interest and offers from just about every corner of the country as he heads into his senior year for the Elks.

Mann, who is listed at 6 feet, 4 inches, said he has received this massive influx of 23 offers and even more interest following his junior season, when he helped lead the Elks to the playoffs.

Burleson Coach Gary McElroy said Mann has offers from every major Division I conference except the SEC.

“He has 22 or 23 offers and out of those I think the only ones that aren’t Division I are Sam Houston State and then there’s some school on the east coast, Liberty University,” McElroy said. “He’s got 21 Division I offers. He has offers from every major conference in the country with the exception of the SEC. He’s got a Pac 12 offers, two Big 10 offers, he has three Big 12 offers. He’s got an ACC offer, Big East offer and all the other conferences in between.”

Several of Mann’s notable offers include California, Connecticut, Fresno State, Houston, Iowa, Kansas State, Memphis, Minnesota, Navy, New Mexico, North Texas, Rice, Tulsa and Wake Forest, among others. Most recently, Mann received offers from Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

McElroy said he and Mann have had several talks about the best fit for him to continue his career.

“Oklahoma State offered a couple weeks ago and then OU offered on Monday and he and I sat down and talked again,” McElroy said. “He has four or five [schools] that he’s kind of ranked as places that he’s really interested in. He and I have talked and he needs to start doing his homework and start getting a hold of these guys. He needs to start asking the tough questions as far as how many defensive ends they have on roster, how old are they, when’s the earliest opportunity he’ll get on the field and so on.”

Read more: http://m.cleburnetimesreview.com/cleburne/db_292064/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=AfGsPx8u

His head football coach thinks that Sam Houston State and Liberty aren't D1. That's honestly pretty bad that a head football coach at a 4A (now 5A) high school, who is trying to send kids to play in college, doesn't know the difference between FBS, FCS, and the fact that they're both D1. And then not knowing that the Big East doesn't exist in football anymore.

Also, I've really liked Mann this whole process but are chances at getting him are becoming increasingly unrealistic.