How many we will sign in 2014

BillySee58

Just an overview of how signing day can and probably will go. We have 17 scholarship seniors and about 77 total scholarship players on the roster. This means we have 25 scholarships available, which is the maximum that can be signed in a class, normally.

Backtracking - means that if you don't sign the full 25 in a class you can use the remaining spots for mid-term enrollees for the next class. In our case, we signed 23 last year so we can sign 27 this class as long as at least 2 of those signees are enrolled next semester for spring. Connor Means is an early enrollee for 2014 and Anthony Wallace, Oregon transfer, will be as well so that's at least 2. Lineman Avery Fortenberry has been rumored to be a grayshirt so he may be another mid-term enrollee.

Either way, we can and probably will sign 27 guys including Anthony Wallace. We had a good summer of getting commits, have been a little quiet since, and I feel like we're going to blow up after the high school season is over with the on-field success we've had. Expect about 15-16 more commits.

Juco signing day is a little over a month away. I'd really like to see us nab a DT.

For sure. It looks like we may have gotten to the point in our program where we don't need large JUCO overhauls, but quality JUCO DT's are the highest demanded JUCOs and they sure wouldn't hurt. Other than that we should be good unless we could snag a game-changing JUCO like James Jones has been.

I normally love recruiting info... but right now, just riding the wave of the here and now is too much fun.

I hope this translates into new recruiting heights, but guys coming in hungry and buying into the mac way seems to be a good formula at the moment(atleast with predominantly dodge recruits thus far leading the way). We'll see, but I honestly am not worried about it at all at this point. Next step, UTEP.

I normally love recruiting info... but right now, just riding the wave of the here and now is too much fun.

I hope this translates into new recruiting heights, but guys coming in hungry and buying into the mac way seems to be a good formula at the moment(atleast with predominantly dodge recruits thus far leading the way). We'll see, but I honestly am not worried about it at all at this point. Next step, UTEP.

Worrying about recruiting? Nah, nobody is. Just excited that this season and new conference has given us a little sneak peak at some recruiting success and we have plenty more to come with about 16 spots left on our board.

I don't understand why some people here believe that just because we are winning NOW we can't discuss the future. It is a football message board... Beat UTEP.

JUCO needs? Well a DT or two. Maybe a WR. DE is always good. I wouldn't be upset with a TE.

Other than that? Nah. Although if a 4 star LB really want to come here, sure.

I've thought about a JUCO tight end since Prior and Miller are leaving, but we'll have 1 scholarship tight end as a senior (Tanner Smith) and 3 juniors (Marcus Smith, Cooper Jones, and Loving) and then a redshirt freshman in Wylie Reinhardt. Adding a JUCO tight end would give us 4 junior tight ends. But if we could get one who is an upgrade over what we have it might not be such a bad thing. Although Marcus Smith has shown a lot of potential.