Southern Miss #38 toughest schedule

jdennis82

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

This game scares me as a trap game because a 0-6 record seems to tell one story about this team, but looking at their schedule more closely might tell another.

In their two home games, they've seemed to play their best ball and their 4 road games were against pretty stout competition.

As fans, we all are circling and prepping for the Rice game since most won't be making the trip to Hattiesburg but our men definitely have business to take care of this Saturday. Hope there's no one overlooking this squad.

• Upvote 1

This game scares me as a trap game because a 0-6 record seems to tell one story about this team, but looking at their schedule more closely might tell another.

In their two home games, they've seemed to play their best ball and their 4 road games were against pretty stout competition.

As fans, we all are circling and prepping for the Rice game since most won't be making the trip to Hattiesburg but our men definitely have business to take care of this Saturday. Hope there's no one overlooking this squad.

Me too. On my way to Hattiesburg Friday morning and hoping to be celebrating another Mean Green victory Saturday night. I don't think that Coach Mac is going to let the team look past this game. That being said, this game looks like a "trap game."

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

• Upvote 1

This is a huge game and not one to be overlooked. Homecoming along with their losing streak is enough to be wary of all by itself. I have no doubt that Mac and Company are making this clear.

Meh, their opponents' records are a combined 23-18. Now remember, that record INCLUDES beating Southern Miss six times so you can actually take those six wins out.

This means opponents are 17-18 against everyone else.

If Southern Miss had won all six of those games, then suddenly their opponents' combined W-L would be 17-24.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, bad teams will always have what everyone defines as a "tough schedule" because they actually contribute to their opponents' win totals when they lose. On the flip side, good teams will usually have what many define as "easy schedules" because they contribute to their opponents' loss totals. The only guaranteed way to actually improve your strength of schedule is to, in fact, LOSE a game.

I only see SOS working when you're comparing teams with identical records.

But then again, I'm not a fancy scientist with all these convoluted formulas to figure these things out. I'm just a guy with a video camera, a few microphones and an assortment of audio/video cables. B)