Favorite Opening Game of the Season

untjim1995

I know that we almost always open on the road at bodybag BCS-AQ heavyweight, but what opening game stands out to you as your favorite. To me, it was in 1994, watching us kill-as we should have--a Division 2 team in ACU at Fouts on a Thrusday night in front of a crowd of more than 17k. We had to average over 17k that year in our 4 home games, which were ACU, Montana, McNeese State, and Sam Houston State. We made it happen that year, while playing 8 games on the road, including our opening playoff game in 1-aa at Boise State. Still had a great year, going 7-4-1--my favorite year at UNT, because we had such a fun team.

Since we moved up to 1-A in 1995, we have opened up at MIzzou (L), home against Indiana State (W), at Vandy (L), at OU(L), home against UNLV (L), home against TCU (L), home against Baylor (L), at UT (L), at OU (L), at UT (L), at MUTS (W), at UT (L), at OU (L), at K-State (L), at Ball State (W), at Clemson (L), at FIU (L), and at LSU (L). So, by almost default, my favorite opening game memory since 1995 was watching us go up to Muncie and defeat Ball State on national TV. I remember seeing Riley Dodge going over to the UNT fan section with the talon up after a great win--really thought that would be the beginning of a great season, only to watch the horror story of watching the Todd Dodge-maniac kill us at the end of every winnabble game the rest of the season.

Anyone else have any good memories? I did enjoy the UT 2002 game where Booger completely dominated the soft UT OL and even softer Chrissy Simms, even though our head coach's offense basically ran the ball as much as possible so that we would keep the score lower (27-0) and get out of town with as few injuries as possible--we passed midfield one time in that game, despite having the most stout defense we have had in decades.

I thought we had to average 25k that year(?)

I suppose my favorite season opener was that Ball State game. I made the trip, as did several other gmg'ers--FFR, Evan, Mean Rob, and others. I really thought we turned the corner. Riley was a great leader of the team, and of the student body. Too bad his physical body couldn't hold up.

Ball St.

The alumni association had a great event at Fox and Hound in downtown Fort Worth. Everyone thought that win meant something big. Ball St. Was 12-2 the season before, even being rankied #12 in the BCS rankings before the MAC championship game.

Little did we know that Ball St. would finish 2-10 that year, including a loss to FCS New Hampshire a week after playing UNT.

Everyone thought Dodge had finally figured it out.

Alas, no.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

The most satisfying opening game to me was the first game of 1984. Someone had stiffed us at the last minute and we had to bring in Angelo State as the opener. I worked hard with all sorts of promotions and we had over 17,000 for that game. As my memory serves me, we struggled and barely beat Angelo State and went on to an very average year. Anyway, 17,000 for Angelo State was quite remarkable, if I may say so.

• Upvote 2

Ball St.

The alumni association had a great event at Fox and Hound in downtown Fort Worth. Everyone thought that win meant something big. Ball St. Was 12-2 the season before, even being rankied #12 in the BCS rankings before the MAC championship game.

Little did we know that Ball St. would finish 2-10 that year, including a loss to FCS New Hampshire a week after playing UNT.

Everyone thought Dodge had finally figured it out.

Alas, no.

The one time we actually won a game over a team people perceived to have some talent, and I was stuck in class that night. Was a Thursday if I remember correctly. David kept sending me text messages during class that I had trouble explaining.

The day I stopped bleeding Burnt Orange and started bleeding Green. 2002 VS Texas. Watching Booger tear through that O-line over and over.

I went into that game rooting for UT to win, but not too bad because I did attend UNT after all. They did exactly that.

I did not expect my heart to want the Longhorns to lose by halftime. They didn't win after halftime (0-0 in 2nd half).

• Upvote 2

1979 - It was my first week in Texas. I grew up on Long Island, and came to NT for the jazz program (duh). In Bruce Hall, Saturday morning, a non-music major came through the hall (B100) asking "Hey, who's going to the football game". Football? I was a baseball fan, really never had followed football, college or pro. I didn't know about the team, Hayden Fry (who had just left), didn't even know there was a stadium. But why not?

We stomped on UTEP 35-0, I heard how great the band was - and the rest is history.

I'm looking at the 1979 schedule - http://www.databasefootball.com/college/teams/teamyear.htm?TeamID=72&Season=1979 - we played UTEP, Southern Miss, LA Tech, and East Carolina! Seems like joining CUSA is like going back home.

• Upvote 4

The day I stopped bleeding Burnt Orange and started bleeding Green. 2002 VS Texas. Watching Booger tear through that O-line over and over.

I went into that game rooting for UT to win, but not too bad because I did attend UNT after all. They did exactly that.

I did not expect my heart to want the Longhorns to lose by halftime. They didn't win after halftime (0-0 in 2nd half).

I was there as well. Had never heard of UNT before that game, but they certainly opened my eyes. 12 sacks, I think, on Chris Simms.

Its a bit under the radar, but our opener at Mizzou in 1995 was great, too. If only because we had finally made our way back to 1-A ball. I remember we kicked off to Mizzou and they returned the kick for a TD and their idiot fans threw oranges on the field--since winning the Big Eight in those days meant you went to the Orange Bowl. Keep in mind, the old Big Eight that year had 5 teams that were ranked in the top ten at some point in the year, and fininshed with 4 (NU, CU, KSU, and KU) in the top 10, including the national champion (Nebraska). But to top it off, after the oranges pelted the field, there was a holding penalty on the return, so they didn't even score... LOL!!

We held our own that game, lost a tough game the next week against one of the best Kansas teams they have ever fielded (finshed #10) at Texas Stadium, and then beat Oregon State at Fouts the next week for our first 1-A win since 1981. We finished that year 2-9, but we played games at Mizzou, Oklahoma, Nevada, LSU, Alabama, UNLV, and Louisville, plus the neutral site game against KU. We were so beat up that we lost our Homecoming game at Fouts to then 1-aa UAB (a program that passed us by rather quickly) and barely beat i-aa Idaho State in our last home game of the year. That was how hard that season was on the players with that brutal schedule--not to mentioned playing on the painted concrete that was known as Fouts Field!!