Way Too Early Projected 2013-14 UNT starting lineup?

Harry

PG - CJ

2G - Alzee

3 - Williams

4- Voss

5- Coleman

6th man is Walton

2nd team

PG - Alzee

2G - TJ

3 - Greg Wesley

4 - Flash Flannigan

5 - Tony Nunn/Josh Friar

Have two spots left to give. What positions do we need?

Our biggest talent is the guards. I wouldn't mind going to a 4 guard set on matchups that favor us.. I'm guessing we will give a Zone look if we don't land another post

FIU was very small last year & still had success. I don't think they started anyone over 6'6 ? I might be wrong on that , but It can work

I think this class really hinges on Thomas. Land him and I think I will get excited about UNT basketball again

Jones

Alzee / Walton / Vaughns

TJ

Jordan

Voss

• Upvote 1

We lost Tony and Roger which will clearly be hard to replace.

We lost Holman, Niko, Patton, Hardwick, Overlander - good players there but not irreplaceable.

We appear to have replaced them thus far with the following: TJ Taylor, Greg Wesley, Josh Friar, Tony Nunn, Flash Flannigan and Colin Voss with two more to come.

We could use a freshman point guard or shooting guard. Preferably a true combo guard, but I doubt there are any true combo guards still available that have us on their radar.

We have 5 guards if you count Jordan Williams. 2 seniors (Walton and Alzee) and 3 juniors (Taylor, Jones, J Williams). We could use at least one developmental underclass men guard. Not a necessity this class, but a possibility.

• Upvote 1

I think this class really hinges on Thomas. Land him and I think I will get excited about UNT basketball again

Thomas has trimmed his list of schools he is considering to UNT, St. Bonaventure, Troy and Western Kentucky.

Any scenario where Keith Coleman starts for the MG is a bad one unless he develops a ton over the summer. He has to get yelled at every 3 minutes in practice just to stay focused, can't count on him to play big minutes in actual games.

Thanks for the insight. I put Coleman tgere because of his size. Do you agree with NT03 that Benford should go with a guard oriented lineup?

i'm excited about next season. Facilities upgraded,and I believe if you look at who will be available this year compared to last year it could be a good team. Having the new guys along with Brandon and TJ we can have a really good team especially when you look at the different match ups we create!

Give Coleman just 2 goals, block out and setting screens.

I like the combo of :

1. CJ

2. TJ

3.Jordan

4.Wesley

5.Fannigan

Run guys!

Thank you for the new facilities!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the insight. I put Coleman tgere because of his size. Do you agree with NT03 that Benford should go with a guard oriented lineup?

I don't have anything against coleman but there is a reason he has more size than any player at UNT and doesn't play.

I think a small lineup wouldn't hurt, it may make it to where Benford can push the ball and run the break the way he wants. My biggest concern is the fact that this team doesn't have Tony Mitchell or Roger Franklin down low rebounding and they struggled to rebound last year. A small lineup or a lineup built around 6'7''-8'' guys is going to have that same problem.

Our biggest talent is the guards. I wouldn't mind going to a 4 guard set on matchups that favor us.. I'm guessing we will give a Zone look if we don't land another post

FIU was very small last year & still had success. I don't think they started anyone over 6'6 ? I might be wrong on that , but It can work

Jones

Alzee / Walton / Vaughns

TJ

Jordan

Voss

A smaller lineup seems likely to me, FIU had one big man from Croatia that they started a little in the tourney but most of their lineup was a guard oriented shooting team.

Jordan has shown glimpses of a post fadeaway jumper in game and he has the length and explosion to possibly play the 4.

Edited by jtb0186

A smaller lineup seems likely to me, FIU had one big man from Croatia that they started a little in the tourney but most of their lineup was a guard oriented shooting team.

Jordan has shown glimpses of a post fadeaway jumper in game and he has the length and explosion to possibly play the 4.

Jordan averaged 3.2 some odd rebounds per game. He is more of a big 2. Nothing close to a 4.

Not to mention one of the 2 best 3 point shooters on the team.

Maybe you play a 4 guard line up with these players for 5 minutes a game. Any more would be a disaster.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A lot of unknowns. Jones and the Williams can play and so can Walton. Coleman has looked good in very small segments but is very inconsistent. Taylor, Voss, Wesley and Flanagan all have potential. Hopefully NT brings in a competent point and another good outside shooter/

Jones and J. Williams are locks to start. Alzee should be but doesn't seem to get along with Benford.

My guess at the starters are: Wesley, Voss, Taylor, Jones, and J. Williams with Flanagan, A. Williams and Walton getting majority of sub minutes

• Upvote 1

Jordan averaged 3.2 some odd rebounds per game. He is more of a big 2. Nothing close to a 4.

Not to mention one of the 2 best 3 point shooters on the team.

Maybe you play a 4 guard line up with these players for 5 minutes a game. Any more would be a disaster.

I don't thin Jordan will play the 4 at all just that he's long athletic and could do so some if he had to in a small lineup.

Keith Coleman played 8.5 minutes a game, he will be a disaster if counted on for much more than that I guarantee it. They will need the JUCO kids and incoming freshman to step up a lot in the post.

• Upvote 1