UTEP Coach dismisses key personnel

Harry

2) Most of the players who were suspended for the spring game aren't coming back. Most notable among those are kicker Steven Valadez, projected starting linebacker Gage Sharp and tailback Xay Williams. UTEP now has zero scholarship kickers or punters on the roster, though he indicated walk-on Enrique Quintana Flores from Bel Air will have an opportunity to return. Flores missed the last half of spring.

Read more: http://elpasotimes.typepad.com/mineshaft/2013/04/stoker-will-be-new-dc-some-players-dismissed.html

Did you see this in that piece: "One of those, who Kugler has already committed a scholarship to, is 28-year-old Iraq war veteran Michael Kelly. Bad news: In a brutal ruling from the NCAA, the linebacker Kelly's three tours of duty in Iraq evidently count as three years of eligibility, as he has been declared a senior instead of a freshman. There's the NCAA's thanks for his service."
Of course, I don't know the whole story, but you juust gotta love the NCAA and their rulings.
  • Upvote 4

Did you see this in that piece: "One of those, who Kugler has already committed a scholarship to, is 28-year-old Iraq war veteran Michael Kelly. Bad news: In a brutal ruling from the NCAA, the linebacker Kelly's three tours of duty in Iraq evidently count as three years of eligibility, as he has been declared a senior instead of a freshman. There's the NCAA's thanks for his service."
Of course, I don't know the whole story, but you juust gotta love the NCAA and their rulings.

I have two hearts in my chest on this one: on the one hand - without knowing the circumstances- this seems harsh and without any shred of "thank you for your service"

on the other hand: If he were a freshman now, would have an injury and redshirt he might be a 33 year old senio later on... talk about a senior who gets the seniors discount at the museum.

• Upvote 1

MIchael Kelly should transfer from Texas-El Paso to Texas. Then he'll get to be a freshman for sure. I'm not even kidding.

Is this for real? Makes Zero sense. TOD has Zero to do with athletic eligibility...or it should not. Is age a factor in this? Do you have four years of eligibility up to a certain age? I have no clue, but what else could it be?

Talk about a "low blow".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Is this for real? Makes Zero sense. TOD has Zero to do with athletic eligibility...or it should not. Is age a factor in this? Do you have four years of eligibility up to a certain age? I have no clue, but what else could it be?

Talk about a "low blow".

Unless it's a new rule, then no, age isn't a factor. Does anybody remember that story a few years ago, where a dad got all of his kids off to college and decided he should finally go too? I think he was around 40 and he walked on to be a kicker or something. I think he may have been in school before he had kids but was never an athlete so he still had 4 years of eligibility. And what about the other guys recently who were Marines (I think there were a couple who made headlines) and then went to play ball in their mid- to late-20s? So yeah I don't get where this ruling is coming from.

JesseMartin, on 24 Apr 2013 - 14:46, said:

Unless it's a new rule, then no, age isn't a factor. Does anybody remember that story a few years ago, where a dad got all of his kids off to college and decided he should finally go too? I think he was around 40 and he walked on to be a kicker or something. I think he may have been in school before he had kids but was never an athlete so he still had 4 years of eligibility. And what about the other guys recently who were Marines (I think there were a couple who made headlines) and then went to play ball in their mid- to late-20s? So yeah I don't get where this ruling is coming from.

I think division 1 does have age limits. I remember reading about that guy, and he was either DIII or NAIA. But I'll leave it to the experts to confirm.

Edit: I can find no substantiation to my claim, so I'm probably wrong.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 1