Vic Trilli Update

Harry

DENVER Newman University vs. Midwestern State just call it the Trilli Bowl.

In one corner, we have Jon Trilli, a graduate assistant coach at MSU.

In the other corner, we have Vic Trilli, the athletic director at Newman and also Jons dad.

Jon Trilli sat near the end of the bench on MSU teams that went to the Elite Eight in 2010 and 2011.

Vic Trilli sat near the end of the bench on two Midwestern teams that made it that made it to the NAIA national tournament in Kansas City in 1974 and 1975, including a runner-up finish his senior year.

Its a father vs. son matchup in the opening round of the NCAA Division II South Central Regional, which tips off here on Saturday.

When they announced the pairings Sunday night, I said, youre kidding me. I looked at my wife and said that cant be, Vic said.

Its exciting for us to make the Division II national tournament for the first time, but couldnt we play Tarleton or Cameron? Anybody but Midwestern.

It is going to be fun, Jon said. Family rivalries are great, and this is for bragging rights for a whole year.

Jon has followed in his dads footsteps. Not only did both play sparingly on some really good Midwestern teams, they also both became graduate assistants after their playing days ended.

Trilli went on to become a full-time assistant for Gerald Stockton and recruited some talented players to his alma mater.

From MSU, Vic became head coach at Lon Morris junior college, and then an assistant under Tom Penders at the University of Texas. He was head coach at North Texas before becoming an AD at Garden County Community College and now at Newman.

Read more: http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2013/mar/15/msu-the-favorite-in-trilli-bowl-matchup/