Interesting comment from Gary Patterson

Harry

On recruiting players and changing positions

"You get a recruiting pool. Kenny Cain was a runningback out of John Curtis High School in Louisiana. Sam Carter was a quarterback or starting safety. We still do it. You try not to do it as much as what we've done in the past. But we still do it a little bit. It really depends on the recruiting pool. We have more recruits that actually walk in our doors now than back in the day. We had a little imagination to get to where we needed to get to and how we needed to do things. I think in 2005, eight out of our 11 defensive linemen were runningbacks out of high school. We've been able to recruit a little bit better since then."

Is that something you recommend for programs?
"I recommend to programs to do whatever you have to do to win so you can keep your job. That was my philosophy (laughter). One of the things you get, runningbacks, quarterbacks, are groups that they were leaders on their teams. That's one of the reasons why Sam, he was a 215-pound quarterback. We thought he was going to be a wide receiver/runningback, he's really made himself into being somebody like that.

Read more: http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/122712aac.html