Just for a little comparison, we could've hired this guy

oldguystudent

his "turn around" is highly overrated

his conference record was pretty much identical to Spike Dykes and he did most of the "turn around" by taking teams like Ole' Miss, NCState, and Ohio State off the OOC schedule and adding one or sometimes even two D1-AA teams and very crappy D1-A programs to the OOC instead

and Spike would have made a bowl game several more times if there had been 32 bowls to choose from

mike won one or two games more per season with a much easier schedule and 12 games being played he was not a huge "turn around" guy by any stretch of the imagination

there are few people that are as entertained as much as i am when watching a Leach coached game. for some reason I never have a feeling that his teams don't have a chance against whoever the competition might be... but this was a great post with some great points +1

• Upvote 1

his "turn around" is highly overrated

his conference record was pretty much identical to Spike Dykes and he did most of the "turn around" by taking teams like Ole' Miss, NCState, and Ohio State off the OOC schedule and adding one or sometimes even two D1-AA teams and very crappy D1-A programs to the OOC instead

and Spike would have made a bowl game several more times if there had been 32 bowls to choose from

mike won one or two games more per season with a much easier schedule and 12 games being played he was not a huge "turn around" guy by any stretch of the imagination

What was Dykes highest ranking?

Lets not forget Washington St was actually ranked below some of Todd Dodge's teams...

I'm sure WSU is a young team and his cupboard was pretty bare

So, you are saying that it might take a coach a couple of years to get a program turned around after finding it young and with a fairly bare cupboard? I see where you are headed here......

• Upvote 1

Well, thanks for this...closest to any solid confirmation I have seen on this. Do you have any confirmation from UNT officials? Thanks.

People like to pretend that the only issue with Harbaugh is that we chose not to hire him, and not that he went to coach at Stanford for a million+ a year, where his dad coached, across the street from his high school, in a major conference, in a state where he already had coaching ties...

• Upvote 2

So, you are saying that it might take a coach a couple of years to get a program turned around after finding it young and with a fairly bare cupboard? I see where you are headed here......

What's weird is that on their fan boards you have a lot of people criticizing Leach for poor performance, which is weird, because I could have sworn this was the only place where people were crazy enough to do such a thing.

• Upvote 2

Grant...I am not comparing him to Mac. I am responding to all those folks who seem to think Leach is the second coming of Jesus Christ on the football field. The guy has won NIL, ZERO, NILCH in the way of championships. If we are going to annoint someone to sainthood in the D1 coaching ranks, shouldn't they at least have to have a chapionship or two as a head coach? Really....

So your saying he was as qualified for the UNT job as Coach Mac?

Just making a point.

• Upvote 2

UNT still should've went ahead and hired Leach anyway. His coaching ties are still very strong in Texas.

actually he was really not all that well respected by high school coaches in Texas

football across the country is not filled with circus geek types and mike was not respected at all by the media because of his refusal to let players talk to the media

he really did not recruit all that well for what was available and high schools kind of found him off putting

and after the way he is blowing up at WSU right now along with weakening the schedule and you can imagine how things would blow up at north Texas with incidents of players leaving and being run off in mass

it would be horrid just like it probably will be for WSU

• Upvote 2

actually he was really not all that well respected by high school coaches in Texas

football across the country is not filled with circus geek types and mike was not respected at all by the media because of his refusal to let players talk to the media

he really did not recruit all that well for what was available and high schools kind of found him off putting

and after the way he is blowing up at WSU right now along with weakening the schedule and you can imagine how things would blow up at north Texas with incidents of players leaving and being run off in mass

it would be horrid just like it probably will be for WSU

Totally off topic, but you are very consistent about capitalizing your proper nouns yet ignoring the first word of a new sentence. And punctuation.

Carry on.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

In my opinion Leach would have been successful here and Apogee would be sold out or darn near it every home game in my opinion. This is Leach's first season and WSU hasn't been good or relevant the last 15+ years. I tend to think Leach will ultimately make WSU was Texas Tech was at the Big 12.

That said there was no way we could have afforded Leach. Even if RV pulled out whatever he had in his back pocket to pay for Leach it still wouldn't have been enough money.

• Downvote 1

In my opinion Leach would have been successful here and Apogee would be sold out or darn near it every home game in my opinion. This is Leach's first season and north Texas hasn't been good or relevant the last 15+ years and WSU in the last nine. I tend to think Leach will ultimately make WSU was Texas Tech was at the Big 12.

That said there was no way we could have afforded Leach. Even if RV pulled out whatever he had in his back pocket to pay for Leach it still wouldn't have been enough money.

10-2-0

Rankings 10 11

10-3-0

Rankings 10 10

10-3-0

Rankings 9 9

leach would have been a disaster at north Texas......he would have blown things up just like he is doing at WSU and then after one year or at best two years of doing that he would be job shopping as fast as possible for places like Kentucky this year and being mike he would not deny interest in the job at all even when it was clear to all involved that he was out of the running, but he would want to and make an effort to keep his name out there as "leverage"

and because he was at a place like north Texas that require a 5 year turn around plan instead of at a place like WSU people would ignore that he was not winning that first and second season and keep his name out there for every "big job" out there and mike would encourage that to the detriment of recruiting and focus