Mean Green's Div 1 Historical Schedule & Results

CurveItAround

Ran across this info dating back to early 50's and thought I would share:

http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/NorthTexas.htm

Man, lots of ugliness on there, but it seems like we have had 3-4 periods of multi year winning seasons (just Div 1 data).

Early 2000's - Our OOC success was bad, almost all of our wins came via conference wins.

Late 70's - Hayden Fry era - We were independent at the time. Take a close look at the final w/l totals for the teams we were building our most successful years against. Look at all of the road games in some of our independent years.

Late 60's - A few good years in the Missouri Valley Conference. Softer OOC schedule seemed to provide several wins, but most games were conference games.

Late 50's/early 60's - More Missouri Valley success

Enjoy!

At the risk of sounding a bit pedantic, in 1981 they listed the Oka St. game and UTA game at Irving. I believe that both were played in the Cotton bowl. As a matter of fact there was some sort of country music review (sponsored by NT) after one of the the games (I think UTA). Afterward, someone mentioned the paltry attendance numbers of that event to Coach Tyler. His response was "sounds like a North Texas football game broke out over there".

At the risk of sounding a bit pedantic, in 1981 they listed the Oka St. game and UTA game at Irving. I believe that both were played in the Cotton bowl. As a matter of fact there was some sort of country music review (sponsored by NT) after one of the the games (I think UTA). Afterward, someone mentioned the paltry attendance numbers of that event to Coach Tyler. His response was "sounds like a North Texas football game broke out over there".

Correct on both. I was in the marching band that year. The OSU game was the most boring game I've ever seen (we lost 9 - 3), and the attendance was pathetic. It was during the State Fair, and somebody had the idea to have a country music concert after the game. It was a name Country act (for the time - don't remember who), and they couldn't wait to start the show (the game probably took longer than they thought) - they started as soon as the clock ran out, and we never got to play "Glory to the Green".

Lot of "ifs" here...

- if Hayden Fry had gotten us into the SWC, and we hadn't been sent to purgatory

- if this game & concert still had occurred, and the game & attendance had been good

then maybe we would have had an ongoing series at the state fair with OSU...

...can't change the past.

It is not surprising that when you look through these numbers that there are not many positives, but here are a few things I pulled out of the details.

I went back to look at our numbers since 1995 (our return to Div I-A

Conference record is 49-57, not completely horrible

Out of conference record is 17-76, :pinch: This shocked me for some reason, so I dug further. Here is our OOC record going back to 1995. Coach Mac is right when he says everywhere you look there is some negative streak that we can break. In the last 17 years, we have not even broke even in our OOC schedule, much less used our OOC schedule to get some extra wins. I bet this changes, and soon. HOPEFULLY STARTING TOMORROW!

2011: 1-3

2010: 0-4

2009: 1-3

2008: 0-4

2007: 1-4

2006: 1-4

2005: 0-4

2004: 0-4

2003: 2-4

2002: 2-5

2001: 0-6 (1st year in Sun Belt)

2000: 2-4

1999: 1-4

1998: 0-6

1997: 2-4

1996: 2-4 (1st year in Big West)

1995: 2-9 (played as indy before joining Big West)

Edited by CurveItAround

Hey, we beat OSU and ASU. Lots of wins against Cincy, Lousville, Hardin-Simmons, and Drake. Ummm...Drake? Our Moot Court team takes out Hardin-Simmons a lot now that we don't play them in football (do they even still have a team?). On the field and in the classroom, baby! Soooo...can we play ASU again while I'm stuck out here so that I can make it to a game, pretty please? I also think it's funny that 2 of the years with no OOC wins, we went to the New Orleans Bowl ;)