Is TJ Hubbard getting it done in UNT Softball?

GreenFlag

I would like to see some opinions on this. Sure, he has been better than what we have had but we are no longer a new program. The softball field was needed but my guess it is the most "needy" of our otherwise great facilities.

It seems being in a position to win championships is the new standard around here and the softball squad is fighting for a .500 record this year.

I don't think this guy is safe.

• Upvote 2

Good question, overall the team has made progress albeit slow. One thing that is a little puzzling to me, I know last year there were a bunch of players that committed and/or signed that apparently never joined the team. I wonder what happened. He has a bunch of commits or signees for next year it will be interested to see what occurs. I also wonder why there are so few metroplex players on the team. He is also rare in that he was not hired as hc from the outside, not a knock but unique at NT.

I doubt he is any trouble, but I would like for the team to advance past a .500 club. We have to wait and see how track develops, but if you look at the rest of the so called non-revenue teams softball is trailing volleyball, swimming, soccer, tennis and both golf teams.

• Upvote 2

Coach TJ is a good and very positive, high integrity guy. He started very young, and is in his fifth season. He has set a base foundation that provides higher pre-season expectations and results that are better than his predecessor. Hopefully, he can build off that as he moves forward. The team has a nice facility and it appears Coach provides an atmosphere that the ladies enjoy being a part of.

It is interesting to talk to some of the parents. I learned that the best pitchers generally are committed to programs by their 9th grade season.

My hope for the program is that we establish a more prominent presence locally, drawing more recruits from the great Metroplex programs, and that we expand the fan base to provide a more rowdy home field advantage.

GMG

• Upvote 2

if RV were to go off his own words when he brought softball in back in 2001-2002 then this is a disappointment, the team has not been competitive and in line for any title since the team started 10+ yrs ago. I would hope the coach's see is getting hot.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Campbell, I hear the same things.I follow the sport because my niece is a softball pitcher and yes, most pitchers are committed sometime in their freshman year. I speak on regular occasion with a former player (shockingly she was recruited from out of state) and she tells me the girls apparently really like him.

But... I have talked to a few coaches, players parents etc. and they all say he doesn't like local talent for some reason. A few coaches of highly regarded programs that send players to places like Baylor, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and UL-Lafayette can't get him out to see their players and have trouble developing a relationship with him. In fact, they will go on and on and on about it. They tell me that they know of girls that went to top 25 programs that would have loved to play at UNT. They never got a look. Just like FB and BB this is the recruiting hotbed of the country. Makes no sense to me. I think I know how the recruiting game is played with these coaches and I think TJ is making a mistake with the local scene. The coaches I speak with don't like him and I think this is due to TJ ignoring them.

I think we could be a dominant program just like soccer.

• Upvote 2

I think the answer to the topic in this thread is no, however good followup questions would include a). Is he close? or B). could someone else come in and do better quickly or would it be a complete rebuilding project?

There's too much softball talent in DFW alone for us not be doing better in this sport.

Nice insight, Green Flag.

I have had a few conversations with Coach and find him to be a guy who deeply cares about his program, his players and the school. Can see why his players like him.

He is responsive to emails also...very prompt, to even basic questions. That kind of behavior doesn't seem to mesh with what you have heard from area coaches.

Not questioning your sources, but it never makes sense to me why coaches will behave in ways that AREN'T in their best interest, in almost sabotage-mode.

I used that argument with Fake a few times, and have to admit in retrospect, Dodge DID seem to behave against his best interest.

That said, a program is not going to progress as quickly if a coach purposely ignores the area in which he or she can most cost-efficiently recruit.

Coach TJ career record is 127-135, .485. He inherited a program that was 81-139, .368, before he arrived.

I support this coach but then again, I am one of the last to NOT support NT coaches. I greatly enjoy watching this team, win or lose because the team ENJOYS playing, the ladies are competitive (they have want-to) and the players carry themselves as nice ambassadors for the school. I, and I presume all those involved in the program, expect and anticipate the program's continued improvement.

GMG