USU Professor: Keep Close to Home

Harry

The Western Athletic Conference is about to have a major makeover. With Boise State, Fresno State, Nevada and Hawaii all leaving, the conference is about to look a lot different.

Last week, long-time WAC Commissioner Karl Benson jumped ship to become the Commissioner of the Sun Belt Conference. Seems like a lateral move on its surface, but it's actually an upgrade when you look at what is coming into the WAC as replacements for the "Fleeing Four."

Maybe, with Benson leaving, we should now say the "Fleeing Five," including the captain who just jumped off this sinking vessel.

Next year, the WAC will have Utah State, Texas-San Antonio, Texas State, Louisiana Tech, Idaho, New Mexico State, San Jose State and Denver — non-basketball.

Other schools considered for inclusion in the near future include Louisiana-Lafayette, Sam Houston State, California-Davis, Portland State, Cal-Poly and, as non-football members, Seattle University, Cal-State Bakersfield and Utah Valley University.

That, my friends, is a pretty lousy lineup of conference friends. No rivals for USU. No driving-distance opponents. For all intents, it's a Division 2 conference. There isn't a single opponent in that list that makes me want to jump up and go buy tickets for football season or basketball season.    

College teams are in many cases defined by who they are aligned with. If USU stays in the WAC as it will soon be constructed, its reputation as a Division 1 program will go down the drain.

Read more: http://www.usustatesman.com/mobile/opinion-keep-conference-close-to-home-1.2704621

Last week, long-time WAC Commissioner Karl Benson jumped ship to become the Commissioner of the Sun Belt Conference. Seems like a lateral move on its surface, but it's actually an upgrade when you look at what is coming into the WAC as replacements for the "Fleeing Four."

Other schools considered for inclusion in the near future include Louisiana-Lafayette, Sam Houston State, California-Davis, Portland State, Cal-Poly and, as non-football members, Seattle University, Cal-State Bakersfield and Utah Valley University.

So if the Sun Belt is an upgrade, why would ULL leave for the WAC?

• Upvote 1

To qualify as a D-1 football subdivision conference, eight teams are required. Utah State needs to get on the phone and try to get a new conference constructed of the following schools: Utah State, Idaho State, Boise State, Colorado State, Wyoming, Air Force Academy, Brigham Young University and University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

I love how people throw around teams with out a remote chance of getting them to move. Boise St. is Big East bound, if not just staying in MWC/Alliance. Does this guy really think they will say "Sure, we would love to make a new conference with Utah State." Why would BYU, CSU, AF, and UNLV do that? This is USU's desperate plea of "Everyone do what will benefit me, and help me!"

• Upvote 1