SBC Bowls Question

shaft

Reading about VA Tech's inability to sell out their allotment of 17,500 tickets for the Sugar Bowl got me wondering,

what's the ticket allotment requirement for the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl and Go Daddy.com Bowl?

I've read that UL-L has passed the allotment and sold 19,000 tickets. But I haven't seen anything that says what the actual allotment is.

Edited by shaft

I've read over 40,000 tickets were sold for the New Orleans Bowl, 19,000+ through the UL-L ticket office.

Makes sense that its a 3-1 turnout.

I also saw an ESPN article that listed the Big Ten's bowl allotments and saw the smaller bowls required 5,000-8,000 in ticket allotments, so I'm guessing both SBC bowls are in that range.

And then they announced they sold 19,000.

http://www.nola.com/nobowl/index.ssf/2011/12/louisiana-lafayette_hoping_to.html

I can't imagine the New Orleans bowl required allotment is 18,000. The BCS Championship game allotment is 17,000, the Sugar Bowl is 17,500, but the Little Caesars Bowl is 5,000.

The NO Bowl has a lower payout ($375,000) because it has a reduced ticket option.

The NCAA requires every bowl to have a payout of at least $750,000, but bowls can go below that number if they change the ticket option.

And then they announced they sold 19,000.

http://www.nola.com/nobowl/index.ssf/2011/12/louisiana-lafayette_hoping_to.html

I can't imagine the New Orleans bowl required allotment is 18,000. The BCS Championship game allotment is 17,000, the Sugar Bowl is 17,500, but the Little Caesars Bowl is 5,000.

The NO Bowl has a lower payout ($375,000) because it has a reduced ticket option.

The NCAA requires every bowl to have a payout of at least $750,000, but bowls can go below that number if they change the ticket option.

That's not exactly accurate. The NO Bowl has a guarantee of $375k but a school can make more from it by selling more tickets. Its one of the few bowl games that has incentives to sell more tickets to get a bigger payout. Kind of a profit sharing model. The Cajuns probably made a pretty penny off of this game. Maybe more than they would have with any other non AQ bowl this year.

not sure about the ticket allotment, but they made mention on the broadcast that over 30,000 came from lafayette.

I'm not sure what the original allotment was; but the university asked for more and got them. Bowl payout has a lot to do with selling your allotment. Thought I had read that SDSU had an original allotment of around 9,000 tickets; but returned many. Lots of UL alumni in the Greater New Orleans area too that purchased tickets direct from the Bowl. Given the cost to go there the Cajuns will make money off this bowl. Not a lot; but won't lose money.

Edited by Shof