Going to try a football thread

MeanGreenHoops

It's so crazy it probably won't work on the football board.

One of the things that really was concerning against WKU was the difference in line play. We had more weapons on offense but the offense didn't make plays when given the chance. Most of the time at home this year they have. I'm going to chalk it up to sometimes things happen.

I was really impressed with DT. He made a lot of great throws, with the TD to Chancellor being a highlight That was a beauty. His receivers let him down quite a bit, but to his credit he kept trying to pump them up on the bench. He's no running threat but has improved greatly this season.

I was also impressed with the playcalling. We really mixed it up and despite the lack of running game we could have made plays, we just didn't.

The bigger concern was the fact Rainey was often 2-3 yards in plus territory before he even had to make someone miss. We missed Orr big time. Lack of depth on the d-line was also a factor. Even so, the defense was getting some 3 and outs in the 4th but the O couldn't respond. It was just one of those games where everyone couldn't get on the same page at the same time.

What did you guys see?

• Upvote 2

Offense

I too am impressed with DT. You can see that he is improving and stepping up to be the QB we need. As our O-Line improves, I think DT will too. As for the receivers, I think they show promise and am excited to see what they can do next season. Of course, there are plays where they should be catching easy balls, but hey, they'll learn and hopefully do something special. I think Bynes, Delgado, and Chancellor will be solid for us next season. I'd like see more plays directed at Chancellor as a slot receiver. I think with his small size and good speed, he would really excel in the slot. Not sure what to expect from our running game next year, I'm hoping Byrd can step up...wish Hamilton had a year left, he showed a lot of promise and looked great when he had to step in.

Defense

I think this defense has a lot of potential and has showed that it has some play makers. Okay, tired to typing. Sorry.

Go MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1

WKU had a good game plan using Rainey the their TE to keep the chains moving. I think our Defense played about as well as they could with the personnel they had with the exception of some missed tackles here and there.

DT is getting better as time goes on. He has yet to go through his progression and makes reads to find open receivers. Most all of his throws are to his primary receiver and therefore often times there are other receivers open that he never sees. I would like to see him hit more receivers in stride with the result being more YAC. This is especially true with TE, Power. It seems that he is having to jump, twist or stretch to make the catch. The most reliable group (least amount of dropped passes) of receivers on the team are the TEs and RBs and I think this should be reflected in the play calling. It looks like we need an upgrade in WR coaching. There seems to be a disconnect between the WR coach and his players.

We are last in the Sunbelt in Red Zone scoring and it became very apparent why in the WKU game. The play calling in the red zone, especially within the 10 yard line has been awful. We have a big, fast, athletic TE that can be a valuable weapon in the red zone.

I wish Hamilton was staying one more year because I really like the way he runs and I think he is an underrated player and has been overshadowed.

Edited by Big Green
  • Upvote 1