Saban Comment on McCarney, UNT Team

Harry

McCarney is a former head coach at Iowa State (1995-2006) who served the past three seasons as a Florida assistant head coach/defensive line coach. This is his first season as the head coach at North Texas.

Alabama has not reviewed footage of old Iowa State games, Saban said.

"We sort of tracked the coordinators from where they've been and what they've done at various places," Saban said.

Mike Canales previously was the offensive coordinator at South Florida and Arizona. Defensive coordinator Clint Bowen previously was the defensive coordinator at Western Kentucky and Kansas.

"We have a lot of respect for Dan," Saban said. "He's done a really good job and been a really good coach wherever he's been. I'm sure he's doing a really good job at North Texas and will build that program nicely.

"They're well coached, they're well disciplined, they play with good toughness, they're sound. I see some differences in this team from last year to this year in that regard."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/09/saban_disciples_derek_dooley_a.html

Curious to know if you guys see those differences, or if Saban's comments were just kind of generic.

Sample size is a bit small thus far. 1st half of the houston game has been the only real evidence of this to me.

I think this may just be some respect AND generic talk for dan from saban. He has to talk about something for this game.

• Upvote 2

I have to say, coach speak or not, at least he isnt saying "we are going to roll those guys. They sucked last year and this year is no different....."

Perhaps, he maybe meant what e said. Perhaps

What coach would ever say that? You don't burn bridges in this industry. You never know where you'll end up.

Very typical coach-speak. And hickoryhouse, I'd love for you to point out any time in NCAA history that a coach said anything in the vicinity of "we're gonna roll these guys..." Every coach in the nation is going to give the same vanilla breakdown of the opposing team. They'll point out the positives, and if there aren't any, they'll say something like "they're well-coached" or "they're well-disciplined." Once he starts naming names of certain players, that's when you can say that he truly means something. The only player I've heard Saban mention by name is Dunbar, and well, it's common knowledge that he's a beast.