McCarney pushing UNT to be physical

UNTflyer

Hey, no problem--I just believe the Coach until he proves me wrong, just I as did for Dodge, Dickey, Simon, Parker, etc. The other four showed me that I was wrong, so maybe this time I will be wrong for a good reason!!

I will say this, if you are right about Coach Mac "sandbagging", it will be disappointing a little bit to me. Not because it isnt normal for coaches to do it, but Coach Mac's candor so far has been as great to me as his enthusiasm. But if you are wrong, please don't make rants about this being a bad hire or the wrong pick after this season. He's going to need time to get his system in place and working at full speed. To me, 2012 will be good, 2013 and beyond will be great with a legitimate head coach in charge finally that has great facilities to recruuit to.

It's pretty normal for a coach to undersell his team and boost up his opponents when speaking to the public.

• Upvote 1

I see more than 3 wins easily. I think the offense will be more in tune this year from the start compared to last year. The quarterback position MAY be questionable but having a proven running back in Dunbar and bringing balance back to the offense with the run game will definitely take the pressure off Thompson (if we can keep it 3rd and short). The defense is the focal point that needs major improvements and it does start with the tackling. Giving up the big play runs early with missed tackles (Clemson game 1st series last year) is something coach McCartney is trying to help minimize. He has brought the right mindset with physicality, which is where it starts, that the players have already bought into. Knocking out the Sunbelt champs FIU will set the tone in the Sunbelt Conference right from the start. I'm projecting to shoot for a .500+ win season this year and I think we'll turn a lot of heads in the conference if we bring that physical play first game. Bottom line, I'm ready for some Mean Green football!!!

Edited by mcc0037

Just curious how you account for the last 4 games of 2010.

How is his system completely different? Becoming physical is not a system change, it's a toughness change. DMac is just coaching these guys to remember how the game is supposed to be played here in Denton.

I'll give you the defense has a new system, but wasn't it Zach Orr who said the game has slowed down tremendously for him since last season?

I don't think it is a stretch to think this team can win 5 games. I will give you, however, that there are tons of wildcards in the trenches and DBs.

I would be happy with 3 wins knowing 1) there is physicality out there, and 2) what talent is coming in 2012. I just hope these seniors go out hard, and get what they deserve.

I agree with this for the most part, but Zach Orr said that it has slowed from his perspective and was careful to let us know he meant that it was because he is able to see the field better and make quicker decisions, not because the pace was actually slower at all. This wasn't meant by him as w negative at all.