2011 Defending American League Champion Texas Rangers

10 days till opening day, and no thread about the defending AL Champs? Come on, boys, I need a little analysis.

Let's all remember my 91 game win prediction at midseason (they won 90), and just forget that pesky preseason "a step back" prediction.

This year? So hard to tell until we find out whose starting and whose closing (See: Feliz). Kinda concerning this hasn't already been set, but I do trust in Nolan.

I'll go out on a limb and say they win 96 and the American League West crown. The Rangers make a late season push after again using their still fairly deep farm system to acquire a legit #1 starter at the trade deadline.

Oakland will be better as they look to add offense to a really good pitching staff (Seems like we always say that about the A's). I think they are the main competition for the Rangers this year.

As for the playoffs? Well, since I already said last year (I think) that the Rangers would win it all this year, I will predict a thrilling, game 7 win over the Phillies in the World Series. With Cliff Lee taking the loss in the final game (the Texas karma gods come home to roost).

Ya, I know, not much research, but then again, that's kinda the way I roll.

PS: And remember, Red unis in the regular season, blue unis in the playoffs!!!!

Edited by UNT90

This team will go as far as Brandon Webb can carry them... I know how terrifying that sounds.

If Feliz is named a starter after spring, I can see him landing on the DL for half the season. We have also lost our good luck charm Clint Hurdle. :(

When Chris Davis makes the opening day roster (obviously not the starting lineup) we will have a lot of cooks in the infield kitchen that will be entertaining to watch.

I think they will regress. If they make the playoffs, the Rangers get bounced in the first round. How the rangers do will really depend on the Angels and As. IF those two turn out better than last season then the Rangers won't win more than 87 games. That might still be enough to win the division though as I could see the top three beating each other up, kind of like the AL Central.

All of this depends of course on the roster as it stands now, and I don't see another major/impact trade this summer.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rangers sweep Red Sox, the team many have picked to win the East, which apparently automatically makes you American League Champs in the eyes of the majority of the sports media.

Right now, the Red Sox nation is somewhere between :cry: and :blowup: .

Long season, but the first series sure was a lot of fun.

The A's will come out on top of the West, but its a good start for the Rangers, especially against the AL favorites. Hopefully can get out to about 5 games or so this season.

No way the A's win the West. Calling it now that the A's will be a total disappointment. They have no offense. The Rangers offense is, in my opinion, the best in the MLB. I think our pitching is good enough to carry us to a division title and a successful playoff run. But hey, the season is long!

No way the A's win the West. Calling it now that the A's will be a total disappointment. They have no offense. The Rangers offense is, in my opinion, the best in the MLB. I think our pitching is good enough to carry us to a division title and a successful playoff run. But hey, the season is long!

Neither did the Giants...just sayin. Pitching and defense can wins tons of games. Don't ever underestimate Billy Beane either.

Neither did the Giants...just sayin. Pitching and defense can wins tons of games. Don't ever underestimate Billy Beane either.

I would argue that the Giants had more offense then the A's do, but I see your point. I respect Billy Beane though. He does have a great baseball mind. As far as GMs go, he's close behind Jon Daniels :)