Walk-Ons

Danish42

When looking at the Walk-on list, I am curous how it works. Do all the guys stay on roster or get cut? Do some guy just say I changed my mind. I guess I have to be at the practice but I am so far away here in SA. Can anybody give me a rundown on some of these walk-ons. I saw somebody by the name of "Knockus" from the Austin area but does not give position. Will there be up to date info on some of these walk-on on GMG? Thank you.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/

When looking at the Walk-on list, I am curous how it works. Do all the guys stay on roster or get cut? Do some guy just say I changed my mind. I guess I have to be at the practice but I am so far away here in SA. Can anybody give me a rundown on some of these walk-ons. I saw somebody by the name of "Knockus" from the Austin area but does not give position. Will there be up to date info on some of these walk-on on GMG? Thank you.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/

Walkons go through a screening process before they are accepted. Normally, you are allowed to have a total squad of 120 at the beginning of fall workouts which is reduced to 105 by the beginning of the season. No more than 85 may be scholarship players, which means that the walkon group is limited to 20.

Most walkons will be a part of the scout team but a few could advance to the traveling team. Historically, maybe two or three will win scholarships in any given year but as we improve the chances will lessen. Still, jewels like Casey Fitzgerald and Chris Hurd will pop up from time to time.

There are two kinds of Walk-Ons. First you have an Invited (also known as Preferred) Walk-On. They are invited by a member of the coaching staff. This usually takes place between National Signing Day in February and before two a days start. They may be asked to join the team at the start of two a days (top 105 players) or after school starts (will be in the group of players #106-120). The second kind of Walk-On is at a tryout that happens in September and February where current students of the university can try to walk on. This year UNT is only doing this in February. The team might select no one or a few that tryout depending on the team's needs and the availablity of spots on the 120 man roster. Anyone selected from this tryout is normally put in the 106-120 group on the team until the next season unless there is a need to move them up to the 105 man active roster. I do not believe players are cut unless there is an academic or team violation issue. Below is what is on the UNT football website for the second kind of Walk-On:

Football Walk-on Information

There will be no open walk-on tryouts this fall 2010 for the football team.

If you have interest in walking on to the football team, the next opportunity will be in February of the spring semester 2011. We have an open tryout day once a year for those individuals who meet the requirements. You can check back the first week of classes (info will be posted on the website) in January 2011 for more details on the exact dates. Thank you for your interest in North Texas Football.

FYI: All walk-on prospects who want to be eligible to tryout in the Spring of 2011 must meet the following:

1. Be enrolled at UNT fulltime (12hrs) and carry a 2.25 cumulative G.P.A. at all times.

2. Current and active insurance ( copy must be presented at try out)

3. A physical within 6 months of the try out date in February 2011..

• Upvote 1

There are two kinds of Walk-Ons. First you have an Invited (also known as Preferred) Walk-On. They are invited by a member of the coaching staff. This usually takes place between National Signing Day in February and before two a days start. They may be asked to join the team at the start of two a days (top 105 players) or after school starts (will be in the group of players #106-120). The second kind of Walk-On is at a tryout that happens in September and February where current students of the university can try to walk on. This year UNT is only doing this in February. The team might select no one or a few that tryout depending on the team's needs and the availablity of spots on the 120 man roster. Anyone selected from this tryout is normally put in the 106-120 group on the team until the next season unless there is a need to move them up to the 105 man active roster. I do not believe players are cut unless there is an academic or team violation issue. Below is what is on the UNT football website for the second kind of Walk-On:

Football Walk-on Information

There will be no open walk-on tryouts this fall 2010 for the football team.

If you have interest in walking on to the football team, the next opportunity will be in February of the spring semester 2011. We have an open tryout day once a year for those individuals who meet the requirements. You can check back the first week of classes (info will be posted on the website) in January 2011 for more details on the exact dates. Thank you for your interest in North Texas Football.

FYI: All walk-on prospects who want to be eligible to tryout in the Spring of 2011 must meet the following:

1. Be enrolled at UNT fulltime (12hrs) and carry a 2.25 cumulative G.P.A. at all times.

2. Current and active insurance ( copy must be presented at try out)

3. A physical within 6 months of the try out date in February 2011..

Great info thank for helping on that 59!

Normally, you are allowed to have a total squad of 120 at the beginning of fall workouts which is reduced to 105 by the beginning of the season.

According to Brett Vito, we are only allowed to have 105 at the beginning of fall camp. I'm not saying you're wrong, but only one of you can be right.

According to Brett Vito, we are only allowed to have 105 at the beginning of fall camp. I'm not saying you're wrong, but only one of you can be right.

I believe that Green59 cleared it up with his post. Apparently, the last 15 aren't eligible to join workouts until after school has started. Why? I don't know. Anyway, there can only be 105 on the active roster when the season starts (and when fall workouts start).

I believe that Green59 cleared it up with his post. Apparently, the last 15 aren't eligible to join workouts until after school has started. Why? I don't know. Anyway, there can only be 105 on the active roster when the season starts (and when fall workouts start).

Thanks--I didn't catch that in Green59's post before.