Dominos Starting To Fall ?

MeanGreen61

Yea kinda noticed that. I stand by the statement that without Ann Richards Baylor would be a non player. Have you seen any Rice Baseball...not enough to save them.

Baseball isn't much of a revenue sport.

But the statement I was really responding to is "what does Baylor contribute"(not why were they originally chosen) --- obviously alot. NCAA tournament money is significant when you advance deep like they did(helping to make up for the Jayhawks early exit too)

With the State of Texas trying to bring more universities up to Tier 1 status, Houston and North Texas need to be in BCS conferences. The only way this will happen is with politcal pull. NT has never seemed to have much in the way of political power but there may be enough legislators that can get the big picture. There is no reason UH and NT shouldn't be fine in the Big XII. The only difference in TT (of pre Big XII days) and NT or UH now is politics. What does Baylor contribute to the Big XII??? Ann Richards made people see it her way.

I had posted this information on another thread, but talking about Tier 1 and the Big 12, I found it interesting how most of the BCS auto bid conferences have Tier 1 or 2 universities as members.

Big Ten – all members of the Association of American Universities and all are Tier 1.

PAC Ten – 7 are members of the Association of American Universities and all but 1 is either Tier 1 or 2.

Big 12 – 7 are members of the Association of American Universities and 9 are Tier 1 or 2.

ACC – 5 are members of the Association of American Universities and all are Tier 1 or 2.

SEC – 2 are members of the Association of American Universities and all but 3 are Tier 1 or 2.

Big East – 3 are members of the Association of American Universities and half are either Tier 1 or 2.

Non BCS auto bid conferences:

C-USA – 2 are members of the Association of American Universities and most are Tier 3 or 4.

MAC – none are members of the Association of American Universities and most are tier 3 or 4.

MWC - none are members of the Association of American Universities and universities range from Tier 1 to 3.

WAC - none are members of the Association of American Universities most are Tier 3 or 4.

Sun Belt - none are members of the Association of American Universities and most are Tier 4.

Bottom line for getting an invite to another conference is what can you bring to the table? Winning athletic teams and the media market they are located in are not enough. I believe academics play a large role in the decision. The university presidents make the decision not the coaches. A large majority of the universities who are members of a BCS auto bid conference are Tier 1 or 2. Also, out of the 63 universities who are members of the Association of American Universities, and play in one of the conferences listed above, only 2 universities are not members of a BCS auto bid conference. Tulane and Rice.

I hope and pray our next president is willing to fight for Tier 1 status and not just be a “yes man” to you know who!

• Upvote 1

Might be wrong, but our best shot at CUSA might be the following -

TCU moves from MWC to Big 12

SMU replaces TCU in MWC (to keep the DFW area)

UNT replaces SMU in CUSA (also to keep DFW team)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/13281267/future-of-ncaa-football-five-super-conferences?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

we are screwed in this CBS scenario

Why would tU or Oklahoma leave the Big 12, where they can be a contender for the BcS championship game every year to go to a league where they would be just another team, with the power teams still being Florida, Alabama and Georgia?

Why would tU or Oklahoma leave the Big 12, where they can be a contender for the BcS championship game every year to go to a league where they would be just another team, with the power teams still being Florida, Alabama and Georgia?

They wouldn't strictly for that reason alone. That money is more money than any other sports program can produce/gain in a scholastic year. Though football is a small piece of the puzzle, OU and texas would have a tough time garnering the type of money and accolades they currently do in the Big XII.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/13281267/future-of-ncaa-football-five-super-conferences?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

we are screwed in this CBS scenario

New Big East

South Florida

East Carolina

UCF

Memphis

Florida Atlantic

Florida International

Navy

Army

FIU ... in the Big East? With the state their football and men's basketball programs are in?!? FAU I can notably understand ... but FIU??!!??

EL-OH-EL !!11!!1 one!

Not really an issue. University of South Florida, University of Southern California, University of Southern Mississippi, University of Central Florida, etc etc.

Directional naming isn't really that much (any?) of a stigma anymore. What works against us is our lack of football success, perception of poor academics (eg. Tier 4), lack of community support, no baseball team, sparse number of businesses and a campus perimeter that looks just awful, and probably a lot more. We have a lot of work to do to be in consideration for a power conference. I felt like we were on the right road until Dr. B was fired. Now I'm not sure what our timetable is for a lot of these things.

I could not agree more.