Dfw Media

untjim1995

I was driving along today and trying to hear some college hoops talk. Suffice to say, the only station doing any talking about college hoops was The Fan. 105.3 really sucks and the guy on at 2:30 really is an idiot. He claims that Unt doesn't belong and that we will lose by 50 against a team like Kansas in the first round. He takes a call and a listener tries to say the great thing about the tournament is that the little guy gets his chance. This blowhard wanted nothing to do with that and says that Nebraska is better than any Sun Belt school and if they don't expand soon to 96, then Nebraska should join the Sun Belt and go dancing every year. It was at this point that I turned it off. After the DMN basically ran us down and didn't even cover the SBC tournament, I wonder if we will ever get a fair shake with that bunch. The Ticket basically laughs at Georgio for his UNT fandom, The DMN is a shill for the Big XII & SMU, and the local TV stations only cover UNT when no other local schools are playing. Is just how it will be because of us being out of the SWC or is it because our alumni just haven't ever given these outlets a reason to change? It's just very frustrating to me and I wonder what other dans think about this. I know that winning COULD change this all, but I am not convinced that would really change this all unless we went to the Sweet Sixteen. We never got much attention when we won the NO Bowl, or at least enough to make me believe that the local media will ever look at us as anything other than pissant North Texas. I just hate it but I wonder if we just have to continue to deal with because we are in Denton and not in a Texas-based conference like the other schools in the state?

While I am not really happy with the DMN's coverage of UNT, Keith7 brought up in another thread that the UNT beat writer for the DRC -therefore the DMN- is Brett Vito, who is out right now. And KRAM pointed out that if you actually have the PAPER version today, UNT had a nice spread.

I don't recall ever tuning into 105.3, and probably never will, so that is irrelevant to me. Sorry you had to go through that.

Winning WILL solve our problems. Those days are here for basketball, and arriving soon for football.

I was driving along today and trying to hear some college hoops talk. Suffice to say, the only station doing any talking about college hoops was The Fan. 105.3 really sucks and the guy on at 2:30 really is an idiot. He claims that Unt doesn't belong and that we will lose by 50 against a team like Kansas in the first round. He takes a call and a listener tries to say the great thing about the tournament is that the little guy gets his chance. This blowhard wanted nothing to do with that and says that Nebraska is better than any Sun Belt school and if they don't expand soon to 96, then Nebraska should join the Sun Belt and go dancing every year. It was at this point that I turned it off. After the DMN basically ran us down and didn't even cover the SBC tournament, I wonder if we will ever get a fair shake with that bunch. The Ticket basically laughs at Georgio for his UNT fandom, The DMN is a shill for the Big XII & SMU, and the local TV stations only cover UNT when no other local schools are playing. Is just how it will be because of us being out of the SWC or is it because our alumni just haven't ever given these outlets a reason to change? It's just very frustrating to me and I wonder what other dans think about this. I know that winning COULD change this all, but I am not convinced that would really change this all unless we went to the Sweet Sixteen. We never got much attention when we won the NO Bowl, or at least enough to make me believe that the local media will ever look at us as anything other than pissant North Texas. I just hate it but I wonder if we just have to continue to deal with because we are in Denton and not in a Texas-based conference like the other schools in the state?

Ask the Fanjerk how one of our worst teams (S. Bama) beat Arkansas and an 18th ranked Florida? I've heard that guy before and cannot stand him. And yes, winning will take care of our media problem. Although I don't think our New Orleans Bowl run publicity was too bad, for the most part we've been perceived as being irrelevant since the day we dropped down to 1AA. We seemed to get very good pub WAY back in the olden days of the late 70's. Hope we're beginning to see those days return.

Both SMU and TCU have the benefit of being located in major cities. North Texas is out of sight, out of mind. So like you said, unless we do something amazing, that's how it is.

But that's only for right now. Denton county is growing at an incredible pace, and all those people and families are looking for something to do. It's my opinion that that's one of the reasons why we're seeing increased attendance at both football and basketball. Basketball, of course, is growing more rapidly because of winning.

I see us slowly getting more and more coverage as Dallas continues growing north and west. The DMN will eventually consolidate the DRC, and local TV starts running more stories about such far away places as Denton, Lewisville, and Flower Mound. :lol: