Mens BB team call players only meeting

This was in yesterdays UNT Notes section of the FWST by Chad Conine

UNT seniors not giving up

UNT men's basketball seniors called a players-only meeting after the Mean Green's 85-70 loss against Western Kentucky on Saturday. The message was that the team shouldn't give up on the season despite a 7-15 record and eight losses in the past nine games.

Coach Johnny Jones said it was evident in practice that the message was received.

"We played one of our better games of the year [against Western Kentucky], in terms of competing," Jones said. "Then we came back to practice and competed and played very hard. I think we're looking forward to our next game."

I have never played competativly, but from an observers point of view I think it very difficult to have 2 of your starting 5 out for the season for more than half of it.

When you don't have a lot of depth to begin with, it is difficult to win. This has been a disapointing season to us because we aren't competing for the title, but I think the guys...and girls for that matter have played hard most every night.

I think that the Lady's could be a monster in the Belt next year (03-04)and the men have a chance the next (04-05) to be the same monster.

Just think, we could be on the brink...in the next 3 years or so to have a Top 25 football team and two basketball teams that compete for a spot in the NCAA and at least a NIT spot each year!