The governorships in Virginia and New Jersey (New Jersey!!) go Republican, with New Jersey actually electing a conservative. Wow.

The Dems barely get the 25th house district in New York, where the so-called repub. candidate was forced out of the race by a member of the conservative party (I don't know what that is, but I like the sound of it). True to form, that liberal republican (why do they let these people in the party??) turned around and endorsed the dem, while her name remained on the ballot. The conservative candidate was a late entry into the race. Facing all these hurdles, the conservative candidate only lost by 3 percentage points.

Don't know the outcome of the 10th house district near San Francisco, but it would take a miracle for any republican to win that district.

I think this llustrates that people are not happy with the economy, and if things don't change, both the house and the senate change hands next year.

Edited by UNT90

The governorships in Virginia and New Jersey (New Jersey!!) go Republican, with New Jersey actually electing a conservative. Wow.

The Dems barely get the 25th house district in New York, where the so-called repub. candidate was forced out of the race by a member of the conservative party (I don't know what that is, but I like the sound of it). True to form, that liberal republican (why do they let these people in the party??) turned around and endorsed the dem, while her name remained on the ballot. The conservative candidate was a late entry into the race. Facing all these hurdles, the conservative candidate only lost by 3 percentage points.

Don't know the outcome of the 10th house district near San Francisco, but it would take a miracle for any republican to win that district.

I think this llustrates that people are not happy with the economy, and if things don't change, both the house and the senate change hands next year.

Last night one channel pointed out that the last 2 times NJ/VA both switched Party Gov. in same year was 1993 (94 Republican Takeover), 2005 (2006 Democrats takeover) hmmm........

It's a good sign, but not much help in terms of slowing down the current congress and their agenda, with the loss of NY 23. ...however, it may cause the moderates who's districts are polling very much against this health care reform a moment of pause, which may be all we need to stop National Health Care and Cap and Tax, which are by far the two most destructive agenda items currently. Stop those two items and at least become filibuster proof again in 2010 and we can slow this tidal wave down.

It was a good night.

A conservative(for NY) district that hasn't elected a Democrat in 150+ years rejects their Republican candidate and the TeaBag'ers offer their first candidate as a more conservative choice for the party...and they lose. This is not some victory by conservatives. Again - one hundred and fifty plus years of GOP control of the district, and the fact that the conservatives made it close is a good thing?

A conservative(for NY) district that hasn't elected a Democrat in 150+ years rejects their Republican candidate and the TeaBag'ers offer their first candidate as a more conservative choice for the party...and they lose. This is not some victory by conservatives. Again - one hundred and fifty plus years of GOP control of the district, and the fact that the conservatives made it close is a good thing?

Yes. You really have to look closer into this race. The previous Rep from this district is now a member of the Obama administration. He was a moderate at best. The fact that a conservative candidate could enter the campaign late, be a third party candidate, and still almost pull off a victory is telling. The republicans regain this seat in 2 years (or whenever this seat goes up again, since this was a special election).

Yes. You really have to look closer into this race. The previous Rep from this district is now a member of the Obama administration. He was a moderate at best. The fact that a conservative candidate could enter the campaign late, be a third party candidate, and still almost pull off a victory is telling. The republicans regain this seat in 2 years (or whenever this seat goes up again, since this was a special election).

I doubt it.

From what I read the other day, the state is about to be redrawn soon. That district is about to become a more liberal one based on the likely gerrymandering(again from what I read) - so I suspect this one to stay in the Democrats camp.

I also think this is a fairly good rundown of some of the big races of last night( from their current frontpage - hope it doesn't change before people have a chance to click the link)

http://electoral-vote.com/

Edited by CMJ

G.O.P. = UNT Football?