Unt Still A Long Way Away From Goals

Brett Vito

"UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said he will evaluate the program at the end of the season. There’s not a lot to like about what is going on at this point. "

Interesting line by Vito there. Hmmm, is RV saying this to calm the storm & to appease angry donors? Could the seat really be warming up?

• Upvote 1

"UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said he will evaluate the program at the end of the season. There’s not a lot to like about what is going on at this point. "

Interesting line by Vito there. Hmmm, is RV saying this to calm the storm & to appease angry donors? Could the seat really be warming up?

I'm not sure that was a direct quote from RV since Vito didn't put the comment in quotation marks. While RV has mentioned (several times) that he'll evaluate the program at the end of the season, to me, the (not a lot to like...) comment looks like it was just an observation made by Vito.

I'm not sure that was a direct quote from RV since Vito didn't put the comment in quotation marks. While RV has mentioned (several times) that he'll evaluate the program at the end of the season, to me, the (not a lot to like...) comment looks like it was just an observation made by Vito.

Yeah, not a direct quote. I was referring to Vito's line about RV saying he would evaluate the program come years end. Quoting out of context is certainly powerful!!! :lol:

We all know RV's real evaluation won't come for a couple of years. After all, he gave Dodge a 5 year contract. :unsure:

• Upvote 1

I have defended Vito several times here in the past, but this story actually managed to piss me off. This isn't him throwing in a cheap shot on some shitty blog that no one reads. This was a 'news' story for the paper. I would have sworn someone on GMG wrote this. We should do some post searches and see if he lifted the entire article from various GMG posts. Nothing like your local journalist actively rooting for your failure.

Stewie Griffin Brett Vito, you suck. Go back to Easter Island.

What pissed you off about it? The factual nature of his Levi Brown record breaking day? the fact that it took only 3 quarters to reach the record? The fact that he correctly mentioned the 6 game losing streak? The fact that the tone of the fan based has drastically changed from then to now?

Where in this article is he rooting for us to fail? I don't see him "actively rooting for [our] failure" I see a writer accurately portraying the state of the team, and of the fan base. There is nothing wrong with that. If we were riding a 6 game win streak and he wrote of unbridled optimism and excitement surrounding the team would you be just as pissed off?

I doubt it.

This sucks, we all agree. But it isn't Vito's fault...

No, it isn't Vito's fault. But can you tell me honestly that this isn't putting as negative a slant on the truth is possible:

He wrote an article on Sunday about the loss. This is a commentary piece and and I just can't see what purpose it served. Believe me, I am on record on this site backing up his right to point out the defeats and flaws in the team. I just don't see much value in this article.

Dodge as well as some of you would NEVER survive at these SEC and Big 12 schools. UNT has one writer that some of you think is out to get UNT because of negative writting....The Hogs lose this past weekend to Ole Miss and article after article is writting just like Vito.

I for one see nothing wrong with Vito.

I am on record on this site backing up his right to point out the defeats and flaws in the team. I just don't see much value in this article.

It may not be intrinsically valuable, however it could have extrinsic value which would thereby make it derivatively good. I guess what I'm saying is, if you fool me can't be fooled again. Go Mean Green.

Exactly. The same reason he was hired here is the same reason he won't be fired yet. Money.

I am thinking of doing a little research project on coaching tenures at mid-majors. My hypothesis is that, in general, mid-majors keep their coaches for a decent length tenure, regardless of record. I don't think we are unique here.

Check the site tomorrow night/Wednesday morning. I did a research project on coaching tenure and record before the season, but haven't run it yet because it hasn't felt like an appropriate time. I'll probably update and post it by then.