Other Sun Belt West Ooc Home Schedules

Buford_Julep

Denver: Ark Pine-Bluff, Seattle, Lamar, Montana, Wyoming and Northern Iowa.

UALR: St Gregory's, Lyon College, Cal Poly, Oral Roberts and Missouri State.

La-Monroe: Harding, University of the Southwest, Alcorn St, Grambling and La Tech.

Louisiana: Louisiana College, Mobile College, Centenary, Southern Miss and Tulane.

UNO: Southern New-Orleans (Satellite of Southern of Baton Rouge), Mobile College, Houston Baptist and Texas St.

Ark St: No schedule yet

Guest GrayEagleOne

I don't mean to steal this thread but this (and other SBC) home schedule point out the fact that there are too many Division I basketball teams. We have another 150 teams in competition to play the more established teams. Since most of them are not very good, the better teams can schedule them for a sure win.

Division I basketball should be for FBS and FCS members only. Even at that, there would be over 230 members. Maybe even consider leagues in line with the old 1-A, 1-AA, and 1-AAA classifications. Division 1-A would be for FBS schools, 1-AA for FCS universities, and those that do not play Division I football would fall in 1-AAA. Each member would only be allowed to play two members each from the other two divisions. No NAIA except for exhibitions.

So, since George Mason doesn't have a football program - they wouldn't be D1? They just went to the Final Four a few years ago. What about the Missouri Valley Conference? To my knowledge none of the schools play football, but they're usually one of, if not THE strongest of the non power leagues.

While I agree there are too many basketball schools, I'm not sure where the cut off should lie at.

Grayeagle - so under your plan - Providence, Villanova among other highly talented basketball programs wouldn't be division 1-A since they don't have FBS football? I actually really like the fact that there are like 340 D1 basketball teams. Means alot more when you make it to the field of 65, unlike football where more than half the teams go bowling.

Got to disagree. There is nothing wrong with having 300 to 400 or more basketball teams. Why would you want to tie football to basketball? This is the thinking that I believe has got the NCAA as non-competitive as it is. To play FB division football a school must sponsor 16 sports with in theory an equitable distribution of scholarships between male and female athletes. While this sounds grand in theory, it burdens schools in particularly those with smaller budgets into funded a lot of sports that do little for the school in terms of recognition or fan support. The Mega sports schools can fund these non-revenue sports to levels that make competition in these sports as uneven as the major sports. To make a school that wishes to play the top level of basketball which requires 4 coaches and 13 ships fund a football at a minimum level of 60 somethings ships and a cadre of coaches and a small army of support staff seems totally unreasonable to me.

Also remember that those excess teams provide games for NT also. Limiting the number of division one teams would only result in the same type of scheduling currently seen in football. The mega programs are still going to play mostly oc home games and it would do little to change the overall schedules. It would probably raise the guarantee rates, but only if there was a limit to how many sub-division one opponents a team could schedule. I also cringe that this is a theory mostly expounded by the Big conferences who rue having to share even at a minimal rate the revenues of the NCAA tourney. Who to say were the ultimate cutoff would be and if NT would even be included in the highest level.

Guest GrayEagleOne

So, since George Mason doesn't have a football program - they wouldn't be D1? They just went to the Final Four a few years ago. What about the Missouri Valley Conference? To my knowledge none of the schools play football, but they're usually one of, if not THE strongest of the non power leagues.

While I agree there are too many basketball schools, I'm not sure where the cut off should lie at.

George Mason would be in Division 1-AAA, along with Gonzaga, Marquette and several other good programs. Most of the Missouri Valley Conference plays football in the Gateway, a 1-AA conference. But a few (Bradley and Wichita State come to mind) do not and would need to seek another conference.

The same break that is used in football would divide Division I into three divisions of around 120 teams each.

George Mason would be in Division 1-AAA, along with Gonzaga, Marquette and several other good programs. Most of the Missouri Valley Conference plays football in the Gateway, a 1-AA conference. But a few (Bradley and Wichita State come to mind) do not and would need to seek another conference.

The same break that is used in football would divide Division I into three divisions of around 120 teams each.

That plan would totally ruin March Madness, my friend. You're taking away most of the Cinderellas.....