Athletic Fee Bill Introduced When?

trud1966

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/Hi...amp;Bill=HB2024

public hearing took place yesterday. Bill was left pending in committee, not sure if that is normal protocol or if there was a problem not progressing to the next stage. Maybe Flyer could explain.

Reasons why a bill is left pending in committee:

add on other projects or combine with another bill ( possibly combine with UNT law school bill or UNT-Dallas enrollment bill) in order to have one UNT bill

rewrite or reword

die a slow death

An interesting part I thought was mentioned at the end of the Bill where it's listed in the tab at the top labeled...."TEXT", then scroll down to the end.

SECTION 2. This Act takes effect immediately if it receives a vote of two-thirds of all the members elected to each house, as provided by Section 39, Article III, Texas Constitution. If this Act does not receive the vote necessary for immediate effect, this Act takes effect September 1, 2009.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Under the fiscal note.

The University of North Texas System indicates that the implementation of the fee will coincide with the opening of the stadium projected to be in Fall 2011. Beginning in fiscal year 2012, the System estimates that the fee would generate approximately $6.2 million with slight increases in the subsequent years.

Rick

Nice pick-up...does this mean its going to go through no matter what...the only variable is 4-5 months of time?

I take that to mean that if it does go to a vote but does not get 2/3 "for" vote but still passes then it is approved in Sept. If it fails in the vote, it still fails, period.

The House committee was in session until about 8:30 last night. I couldn't tell if the bill was discussed at all or not. I think the isuue of changing TX A&M Kingsville to TX A&I took a LOOOOONG time and they just didn't get to it. The Higher Education Committe (House) is in session today but they don't list it as being broadcast today so I don't know if they pick up where they left off or not. A lot of the bills seem to have the line about taking effect immediately with 2/3 vote or Sept 1 if not. I take that as the ability to put a bill into effect right away without having to go to the Gov etc..IDK. The Senate Higher Education was in session yest as well but I didn"t see any broadcast of it. I don't know how long it takes to get info on the web site as to what happens in committee. I hope someone from the Univ is there pushing the agenda. I looked at the committee members and didn"t see a solid friend to UNT although there may be a closet supporter.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/Hi...amp;Bill=HB2024

public hearing took place yesterday. Bill was left pending in committee, not sure if that is normal protocol or if there was a problem not progressing to the next stage. Maybe Flyer could explain.

"Pending in Committee" is a normal procedure. The committee cannot vote on the same day they hear testimony. They will come together again for a short discussion at the next meeting and will probably vote it out of committee on Wednesday.

Be not deceived! The gentleman who is a member of the President's Council was NOT speaking for the council or the university or anyone but himself. He also testified before the House committee hearing, but with the opposite effect that he intended, since he came off looking silly and ill-informed.

Dr. B., the SGA president, and the student regent also testified STRONGLY IN FAVOR of the bill. They got a very warm reception. In short, there is zero evidence that anyone officially speaking for the university is working against the stadium plan.