Strength Coach

Green Dozer

FFR probably knows this guy, John Lott, as they starred in the movie, "Necessary Roughness". Anyway, he and I went to high school together here in Denton, graduating in 1982. His playing history at UNT is mentioned below. Believe me, he did not possess a lot of natural athletic ability, and worked his ass to off to go as far as he did in his playing career, proof that 90% of a lot of things is attitude. His dad was Dr. Lott who taught biology for years at UNT. Anyway, many of you will know him if you watch NFL films coverage of the scouting combine in Indy. He is the one who screams at the players when they are doing the tests on weights. Anyway, maybe he knows some young strength coach who needs a place to build his reputation just like John did at the University of Houston:

lott_john.jpg

John Lott

College: North Texas

Hometown: Denton, TX

DOB: May 9, 1964

Cardinal Season: 2nd

NFL Season: 13th

John Lott, a 12-year NFL assistant, enters his second season as the Cardinals strength and conditioning coach after being hired on 1/19/07. Previously with the Cleveland Browns prior to joining Arizona (2005-06), Lott served in the same capacity with the New York Jets for eight years (1997-2004) where he worked with current Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt in 2000.

A native of Denton, TX, Lott has earned a reputation as one of the NFL’s most demanding strength and conditioning coaches, consistently challenging the players with off-the-field preparation both during the season and off-season. A fixture at the NFL scouting combine each February in Indianapolis, Lott was also recognized by Power Magazine as the 2001 Powermag All-NFL Team Top Strength Coach.

During his first season in Arizona, Lott was responsible for overseeing the redesign of the team’s weight room. The weight room was completely made over during a six-week span at the cost of several hundred thousand dollars to update equipment and the overall look.

Lott’s programs stress Olympic movements, as well as strength and speed development, and he has also devised strict individual in-season programs to help the players increase their overall stamina and endurance. He is also responsible for working with injured players on secondary rehabilitation programs.

He originally joined the Jets in 1997 after serving as the head strength and conditioning coach at the University of Houston for six years (1991-96) where he supervised the strength and conditioning program for all 14 varsity sports with a primary focus on football, men’s basketball, men’s and women’s track and field and the nationally ranked men’s golf team. During his tenure at Houston, Lott designed and oversaw the construction of a state-of-the-art 17,000-square foot weight room (the largest in the country at the time of its completion).

Prior to his work at Houston, Lott served two years (1989-90) in the same capacity at his alma mater, the University of North Texas, overseeing all 11 varsity sports programs. Lott has a strong track background, having worked as the strength and conditioning coach of the Santa Monica Track Club and trained Olympic gold medalists Carl Lewis, Leroy Burrell and Mike Marsh. Lott also worked with the 1992 and 1996 Indonesian National track teams, as well as with select members of the Japanese National track team in preparation for the Olympics in 1992 and 1996. Overall, the athletes he tutored garnered six world records and 12 Olympic medals.

He played for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1987 under head coach Chuck Noll and went to training camp with the New York Jets in 1988. Lott was a standout offensive lineman at North Texas where he earned four varsity letters and was named All-Conference twice and All-America his senior year. He was twice voted "Most Dedicated" and a team captain by his teammates and graduated as the strongest man in school history.

Lott earned his bachelor’s degree in corporate fitness in 1988 with minors in biology and kinesiology and later earned his master's degree in physical education from Crescent City Christian College in 1990. He served as assistant strength and conditioning coach at the University of Texas in 1988. He also appeared in a minor role in the film Necessary Roughness, which was shot on the North Texas campus. Lott and his wife Kim have a son, Jasper Ryan, and a daughter, Kaitlyn Grace.

Edited by Green Dozer

FFR probably knows this guy, John Lott, as they starred in the movie, "Necessary Roughness". Anyway, he and I went to high school together here in Denton, graduating in 1982. His playing history at UNT is mentioned below. Believe me, he did not possess a lot of natural athletic ability, and worked his ass to off to go as far as he did in his playing career, proof that 90% of a lot of things is attitude. His dad was Dr. Lott who taught biology for years at UNT. Anyway, many of you will know him if you watch NFL films coverage of the scouting combine in Indy. He is the one who screams at the players when they are doing the tests on weights. Anyway, maybe he knows some young strength coach who needs a place to build his reputation just like John did at the University of Houston:

lott_john.jpg

John Lott

College: North Texas

Hometown: Denton, TX

DOB: May 9, 1964

Cardinal Season: 2nd

NFL Season: 13th

John Lott, a 12-year NFL assistant, enters his second season as the Cardinals strength and conditioning coach after being hired on 1/19/07. Previously with the Cleveland Browns prior to joining Arizona (2005-06), Lott served in the same capacity with the New York Jets for eight years (1997-2004) where he worked with current Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt in 2000.

A native of Denton, TX, Lott has earned a reputation as one of the NFL’s most demanding strength and conditioning coaches, consistently challenging the players with off-the-field preparation both during the season and off-season. A fixture at the NFL scouting combine each February in Indianapolis, Lott was also recognized by Power Magazine as the 2001 Powermag All-NFL Team Top Strength Coach.

During his first season in Arizona, Lott was responsible for overseeing the redesign of the team’s weight room. The weight room was completely made over during a six-week span at the cost of several hundred thousand dollars to update equipment and the overall look.

Lott’s programs stress Olympic movements, as well as strength and speed development, and he has also devised strict individual in-season programs to help the players increase their overall stamina and endurance. He is also responsible for working with injured players on secondary rehabilitation programs.

He originally joined the Jets in 1997 after serving as the head strength and conditioning coach at the University of Houston for six years (1991-96) where he supervised the strength and conditioning program for all 14 varsity sports with a primary focus on football, men’s basketball, men’s and women’s track and field and the nationally ranked men’s golf team. During his tenure at Houston, Lott designed and oversaw the construction of a state-of-the-art 17,000-square foot weight room (the largest in the country at the time of its completion).

Prior to his work at Houston, Lott served two years (1989-90) in the same capacity at his alma mater, the University of North Texas, overseeing all 11 varsity sports programs. Lott has a strong track background, having worked as the strength and conditioning coach of the Santa Monica Track Club and trained Olympic gold medalists Carl Lewis, Leroy Burrell and Mike Marsh. Lott also worked with the 1992 and 1996 Indonesian National track teams, as well as with select members of the Japanese National track team in preparation for the Olympics in 1992 and 1996. Overall, the athletes he tutored garnered six world records and 12 Olympic medals.

He played for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1987 under head coach Chuck Noll and went to training camp with the New York Jets in 1988. Lott was a standout offensive lineman at North Texas where he earned four varsity letters and was named All-Conference twice and All-America his senior year. He was twice voted "Most Dedicated" and a team captain by his teammates and graduated as the strongest man in school history.

Lott earned his bachelor’s degree in corporate fitness in 1988 with minors in biology and kinesiology and later earned his master's degree in physical education from Crescent City Christian College in 1990. He served as assistant strength and conditioning coach at the University of Texas in 1988. He also appeared in a minor role in the film Necessary Roughness, which was shot on the North Texas campus. Lott and his wife Kim have a son, Jasper Ryan, and a daughter, Kaitlyn Grace.

Great guy. Thanks for posting Dozer, I hadn't thought about John in a long time. I'm glad to see he is doing so well, and yes, he would be a good person to contact regarding this position.

• Upvote 1

John is a very intense individual indeed. It's great to see that he's still doing well. I remember when he left for the Jets camp and everyone was so excited for him. I agree that he should be a source to consider in finding the strength and conditioning coach.

It's amazing to think back on the amount of talent that Corky was able to find and develope during our 1-AA days?

Rick

• Upvote 1

John is a very intense individual indeed. It's great to see that he's still doing well. I remember when he left for the Jets camp and everyone was so excited for him. I agree that he should be a source to consider in finding the strength and conditioning coach.

It's amazing to think back on the amount of talent that Corky was able to find and develope during our 1-AA days?

Rick

Intensity was a very common characteristic amongst Corky Nelson's recruits.

Byron Gross

Lance White

Rayford Cooks

Ronnie Hickman

Rex Johnson

Mike Davis

One of the most intense players I ever saw at North Texas was not a Corky Nelson recruit, but he finished up his playing career under Corky. Lester Harper was an undersized (5'10" X 205) linebacker, but he was a buzz saw. In a game with ULL, we were getting our asses handed to us (It eventually ended 31-14 ULL). I think because it was Mr. Harpers expectation that we should have been able to take ULL, he got madder and madder as the game went on. After a couple of out of bounds hits on players (and maybe a fight or two), he was finally ejected from the game. But he wasn't through yet. He roamed up and down the sideline jawing and yelling at ULL ......and the officials. Finally, an official flagged him for unsportsmanlike conduct for running his mouth. Corky had to finally banish him to the locker room so that he didn't draw anymore penalties. Which is something that I had never seen before....or since.

The next week against SMU, Harper shot through a gap in the SMU line and put Eric Dickerson on his back..... and then stood over him as if to challenge him to come into his territory again. Eric Dickerson was about 4 or 5" taller and 15 lbs heavier than Harper...but that didn't seem matter to Harper.

Now, many may look at this story and think "Damn! that guy was a thug". But I say "I'll take this kind of intensity over the give up behavior I've seen since DeLoach left.....starting with the 2004 Texas game, and ending with the whole 2008 season".

His dad was Dr. Lott who taught biology for years at UNT.

That brings back memories. Hardest but best teacher I had while at UNT. If you made it through Anatomony and Physiology, he threw a party for the class after Spring finals. Never forget his response when I asked him if he was worried about minors consuming alcohol at the party (a pool party). "F%$# em', I got tenure." Different times, for sure!!!

Can I go back??

• Upvote 1

That brings back memories. Hardest but best teacher I had while at UNT. If you made it through Anatomony and Physiology, he threw a party for the class after Spring finals. Never forget his response when I asked him if he was worried about minors consuming alcohol at the party (a pool party). "F%$# em', I got tenure." Different times, for sure!!!

Can I go back??

I survived Dr. Lott and glad I did. Rumor was that Jim and John, his two sons, failed his class. I once asked Dr. Lott, the Dr. Lott of the famed 5 page test that never ever included multiple choice questions just a question with a blank for you to write int he answer, when he was going to retire. He responded that he was never going to retire because they would hire some son of a b!tc* that would issue multiple guess tests. Tough, fair and really a good man.

• Upvote 1

I survived Dr. Lott and glad I did. Rumor was that Jim and John, his two sons, failed his class. I once asked Dr. Lott, the Dr. Lott of the famed 5 page test that never ever included multiple choice questions just a question with a blank for you to write int he answer, when he was going to retire. He responded that he was never going to retire because they would hire some son of a b!tc* that would issue multiple guess tests. Tough, fair and really a good man.

I was a business major and never had this professor for a class but my wife was a biology major and had nothing but great things to say about Dr. Lott.

• Upvote 1

I remember those tests, and you only had one hour to complete them. Even worse were the lab tests where the human cadavers had the muscles tagged and you had to ID the name of muscle. On one of these tests, a certain part of the female anatomy was tagged as a test question (the part begins with cl....yes, that magical, wondrous part). I am ashamed to say that I missed that test question (It looked completely different on a cadaver than in real life...really...So ashamed!!). He had a pretty sick sense of humor. I was very proud to get a C in that class.

• Upvote 1

I remember those tests, and you only had one hour to complete them. Even worse were the lab tests where the human cadavers had the muscles tagged and you had to ID the name of muscle. On one of these tests, a certain part of the female anatomy was tagged as a test question (the part begins with cl....yes, that magical, wondrous part). I am ashamed to say that I missed that test question (It looked completely different on a cadaver than in real life...really...So ashamed!!). He had a pretty sick sense of humor. I was very proud to get a C in that class.

"CL?" I thought it started with MA, as in "Man in a boat".

• Upvote 1