Former Unt Recruit Walks On At Smu

Brett Vito

Sorry Brett, we are only bashing SMU and questioning Padron's motives in the VIP room. No public outcry today.

Damnit!!!

Can I please, please gain entry into the VIP room? I promise I won't even post, won't share information with even my closest of friends, I just wanna read.....

Of all those who have left the program over the last year, Padron seems to stand out for oddness. Mainly, why would he be described by Dodge as leaving due to struggles with diabetes (certainly a legitimate concern), only to resurface very shortly as a walkon at SMU. Loneliness can affect people of college age, like anyone else; maybe he wanted to be around his brother. It does seem like going from starting for a team which may have not lost during his playing years (SLC) to not playing at all for a team which struggled to win 2 games last year might be difficult to handle. I'm assuming at this point that the diabetes had little if anything to do with his departure from UNT.

I smell something foul in this story. Kyle Padron commits to SMU and then big brother Justin claims diabetes will force him to give up football so that Todd Dodge will give him his release. Only a few weeks later we hear that Justin is going to walk on at SMU.

I don't know how great our pipeline with SLC was in the first place (aside from Riley last year, we missed out on 3 highly-rated recruits and this year's best prospect, Brayden Burnett, wouldn't give us the time of day) but it's drying up faster than a rain drop in Death Valley.

Of all those who have left the program over the last year, Padron seems to stand out for oddness. Mainly, why would he be described by Dodge as leaving due to struggles with diabetes (certainly a legitimate concern), only to resurface very shortly as a walkon at SMU. Loneliness can affect people of college age, like anyone else; maybe he wanted to be around his brother. It does seem like going from starting for a team which may have not lost during his playing years (SLC) to not playing at all for a team which struggled to win 2 games last year might be difficult to handle. I'm assuming at this point that the diabetes had little if anything to do with his departure from UNT.

Agree something's fishy, but maybe todge new his plans all along and instead of being an ahole he released him.

Agree something's fishy, but maybe todge new his plans all along and instead of being an ahole he released him.

Oh, I doubt that the whole thing is a big deal; at least he left in good academic standing. It just seemed like others were far enough ahead of him in the depth charts that he was still unlikely to get playing time; I just question the diabetes as explanation. Marcus King didn't seem to have any difficulty getting a release, apparently in search of more playing time. The explanation for Padron's leaving (diabetes) just seems obviously incorrect and unnecessary. From a team standpoint, it will be ok, because Padron didn't seem to be challenging anyone for playing time. On a personal level, I think it's best if both players and coaches are honest with themselves and to those depending on them. But hey, it's an imperfect world.