Pre Season Rankings & Reviews

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Gophers were last in the nation in total defense, having one of the worst statistical years in recent F.B.S. history. The Countdown has already pointed out that North Texas and Rice, both spread teams, were among the worst defensive teams in the nation, and promised to look into the phenomenon. Minnesota also runs the spread, leading me to believe that there may be a connection."

I don't know who the author, Paul Myerberg, is. He really doesn't like spread offenses, does he? Hopefully the return of the DeLoach defense will make him reconsider. Did anyone else notice that he didn't mention Gary DeLoach's return in the North Texas writeup? ...probably doesn't even know about it...

I don't know who the author, Paul Myerberg, is. He really doesn't like spread offenses, does he? Hopefully the return of the DeLoach defense will make him reconsider. Did anyone else notice that he didn't mention Gary DeLoach's return in the North Texas writeup? ...probably doesn't even know about it...

Well I think there might actually be a correlation between defense and the type of offense you run. Like I think our defense was so good in the early 2000s because we ran the ball ad nauseam. Killed the clock.

Look at Tech, WV and others. Never known for having great defenses.

I personally don't care about the spread. I'd rather run a balanced traditional offense, but I'm not sure we'll ever get the caliber athletes in here you need to effectively run something like that.

So for that reason, Viva El Dodge.

Edited by Eagle1855

Guest GrayEagleOne

Well I think there might actually be a correlation between defense and the type of offense you run. Like I think our defense was so good in the early 2000s because we ran the ball ad nauseam. Killed the clock.

I'm with you on preferring a balanced offense but as to killing the clock? I checked back to 2003 (as far as our archives go) and found only one year where our offense was on the field longer than our defense. Of course, it's hard to make a point in that regard because the defense was porous but last year our offense was one the field an average of 3+ minutes more than our defense. But, even with the no-huddle we still didn't put the ball in play much under the 25 second clock expiriation. We did make more non-penalty first downs last year than in the four previous Dickey' years.

The spread is more entertaining but I still like to see a running back break one for a long gain. Maybe we can have both with the Dodge offense.

I believe TTech ended last year with one of the top defenses in the Big XII. Could be wrong and too lazy to look it up.

stop punching holes in my argument! ha

Either way, it took both programs a little while to establish both sides of the ball. Many more spread programs have yet to do so.

stop punching holes in my argument! ha

Either way, it took both programs a little while to establish both sides of the ball. Many more spread programs have yet to do so.

TTech was ranked third in the Big XII in total defense last year and will probably be better this year. Oh, and I still hate them.