Conference Footprint Map

MeanGreen61

We fall within five conference boundaries (SBC, CUSA, Big12, WAC, and MWC) and not that far from a sixth (SEC). Looks like more choices than almost any other school has, along with our metroplex neighbors. A lot of directions we can go....so let's go! :)

Edited by NT80

If we were in the WAC, our "closest" 3 opponents would be (1) La Tech, (2) New Mexico State, and ... oh my ... (3) Utah State ... with Fresno State, Boise State, and Nevada all virtually tied at the number 4 position. I think it is easy to say ... the WAC is not for us.

Looking at the map really puts some things in perspective too. The distance from NT to MTSU is about the same as NT to NMSU and almost double the distance from NT to USU.

I realize the stigma attached to a conference like the Sun Belt is that we are the bottom of the heap of conferences, despite our recent success as a conference, and that we are just the up-start league for schools making the leap from the FCS but I truly believe that the Sun Belt Conference could one day develop into a very successful conference. Let's face it, all of the BCS Conferences started where we did but they just had a head start and so therefore they are going to be ahead of the rest of the pack. However this whole college football landscape is still very young when you consider the current format for determining a winner of a national champion and it is very obvious that throughout our lifetimes the landscape will continue to evolve and change into something we may not even be able to comprehend as far as conference affiliations and the determination of a national champion so even though right now the Sun Belt is not the SEC or Big12 who's to say we couldn't one day be there as well as every other conference. I for one believe that the day will come where major reorganization will come within the FBS and all conferences will have an equal claim to bowl tie ins and revenue. Conferences will TRULY be for the purpose of regional affiliation and if we are no longer in the Sun Belt then that is fine, but I really don't think that what conference you are in one day will really matter anymore except to signify what region of the country you play. My point being is that we may constantly be looking to get out of the Sun Belt now but one day who's to say we won't be wanting back in? Lets enjoy where we are and build what we have instead of looking to jump ship.