Mean Green Ranks #1

NT80

RV mentioned this at the Exes event in Lewisville but I don't recall seeing it posted before. It is an annual ranking, compiled last fall, and put out by a Penn St prof...

http://209.85.207.104/search?q=cache:QlyCs...;cd=2&gl=us

After glancing over the report hurriedly, on the surface it seems to be a nice award, the mens and womens sports are close to equals.

If I'm reading between the lines, it seems to say that these "winners" lag behind the big time/bigger name schools in the men's coaches salaries, budgets, etc. etc. None of the more recognizable athletic powers in mens sports seem to be high on this list.

It seems to suggest, which list do you value more, equality or success on the playing field?

The DMN mentioned it in their "College Notes" section. You may have overlooked it as the headline was OU was number one in the Big 12 in gender eqyuity. The last sentence mentioned NT was first nationally and OU was 23rd.

Typical DMN slanted reporting toward the Big12 over a local University. No mention in the DRC either that I recall. <_<

Guest 97and03

Do you want to know why this is so important to all of you on this board? It is important because it means that RV kept his promise to the students.

The last increase in student service fees at UNT was designed specifically for this purpose. UNT was greatly lagging behind in women's athletics, need most to upgrade the facilities for women's athletics. The student fees were agreed upon for that upgrade.

The result? Well, the excellent facilities in Mean Green Village that include the soccer field, softball, field, and tennis complex.

These examples are a great way for athletics to demostrate the measurable successes that occur because of the last athletics fee increase. It says to the students, "This is what we said we can accomplish, and look, we did exactly that."

This gender equity rating is a much bigger deal than you realize, becasue it says a great deal about what UNT athletics can accomplish when it partners with the students.

It is an excellent foundation for the next time the administration asks students to increase their own fees.

Edited by 97and03

Do you want to know why this is so important to all of you on this board? It is important because it means that RV kept his promise to the students.

The last increase in student service fees at UNT was designed specifically for this purpose. UNT was greatly lagging behind in women's athletics, need most to upgrade the facilities for women's athletics. The student fees were agreed upon for that upgrade.

The result? Well, the excellent facilities in Mean Green Village that include the soccer field, softball, field, and tennis complex.

These examples are a great way for athletics to demostrate the measurable successes that occur because of the last athletics fee increase. It says to the students, "This is what we said we can accomplish, and look, we did exactly that."

This gender equity rating is a much bigger deal than you realize, becasue it says a great deal about what UNT athletics can accomplish when it partners with the students.

It is an excellent foundation for the next time the administration asks students to increase their own fees.

All good points. I understand now why you asked your last question on the TxSt thread now.

Rick

Maybe I am alone in thinking this, and I really do think this is great for the athletic department, but I really can't see students VOTING for a large athletic fee increase to fund a stadium because the last fee increase helped get womens athletics on an even par. No offense intended at all, but I just think that the average student has proven that he/she will not vote for a stadium funding fee. The BOR needs to slap this fee on and do their job--hell, if they want us to be a great music and arts school first, then do the same thing and apply a mandatory fee to help expand their needs, too. Trust me, the demand for a UNT degree won't drop substantially. It is still the flagship public university of the Metroplex and will always be that for many years to come. (sorry UTA and UTD)

Guest 97and03

Maybe I am alone in thinking this, and I really do think this is great for the athletic department, but I really can't see students VOTING for a large athletic fee increase to fund a stadium because the last fee increase helped get womens athletics on an even par. No offense intended at all, but I just think that the average student has proven that he/she will not vote for a stadium funding fee. The BOR needs to slap this fee on and do their job--hell, if they want us to be a great music and arts school first, then do the same thing and apply a mandatory fee to help expand their needs, too. Trust me, the demand for a UNT degree won't drop substantially. It is still the flagship public university of the Metroplex and will always be that for many years to come. (sorry UTA and UTD)

I guess my points was about how it shows concrete results. As in "This is what we have been able to accomplish so far. Thanks for helping us do all this. Now we are ready to take the next step and need your help to get there."

Essentially, I think it is important because Rick made a promise to the students to do something with that money and he did it. It engenders trust between the AD and the students. It, in my opinion, makes it more likely that students will support a fee increase if they know that Rick will deliver on what he tells them.