Anybody Seen This Young Man Play...from Denton High

UNTLifer

I have seen him play many times over the past three years. Fred Hunter is about 6-5 and 225 pounds. A former football WR, Fred is very quick and fluid despite his size. He is equally at home on the perimeter or on the blocks. Coach Tic Price was present at the recent Denton High-Denton Ryan game. Fred does not always play at the level he is capable, but has been on a roll lately. He has scored over 30 points in 3 of his last 4 games.

Below is a cut and paste from my July, 2007 post.

Hunter is very strong, smooth and athletic. At the Summer Tip-Off I saw him take a defensive rebound and then lead the fast break using a full speed behind the back dribble to fake out a defender at mid-court. He was the #30 Texas Hoops prospect as a Soph. He had to sit out his junior season when the school board ruled he transferred from Ryan to Denton High for athletic purposes.

He does have some minuses. Below are quotes from AAU coach Grady Dale found in a 2006 DRC story.

"I think Fred has changed where he was considered “the man” on his high school team, but with us we say, ‘You might be the man there, but here you still have to work hard. If you don’t, you go to the bench,’” Dale said. “He was the biggest guy on his high school team, but he’s not out here.”

Dale added that Hunter has the potential to play at one of the best college programs in the country if he wants to saying, “We put him in the position to be seen, get the coaches out there and then he has to take care of business.”

Click for Chris Babb info

Edited by Buford_Julep

I have seen him play many times over the past three years. Fred Hunter is about 6-5 and 225 pounds. A former football WR, Fred is very quick and fluid despite his size. He is equally at home on the perimeter or on the blocks. Coach Tic Price was present at the recent Denton High-Denton Ryan game. Fred does not always play at the level he is capable, but has been on a roll lately. He has scored over 30 points in 3 of his last 4 games.

Below is a cut and paste from my July, 2007 post.

Hunter is very strong, smooth and athletic. At the Summer Tip-Off I saw him take a defensive rebound and then lead the fast break using a full speed behind the back dribble to fake out a defender at mid-court. He was the #30 Texas Hoops prospect as a Soph. He had to sit out his junior season when the school board ruled he transferred from Ryan to Denton High for athletic purposes.

He does have some minuses. Below are quotes from AAU coach Grady Dale found in a 2006 DRC story.

"I think Fred has changed where he was considered “the man” on his high school team, but with us we say, ‘You might be the man there, but here you still have to work hard. If you don’t, you go to the bench,’” Dale said. “He was the biggest guy on his high school team, but he’s not out here.”

Dale added that Hunter has the potential to play at one of the best college programs in the country if he wants to saying, “We put him in the position to be seen, get the coaches out there and then he has to take care of business.”

Click for Chris Babb info

I liked what I read about Babb - it's nice to be going head-to-head against those type of schools for recruits.

I think based on what you posted, if Hunter can get his head right he could be a really solid player.