Pit Crew Idea

UNT_92_Fan

UNC-Wilmington pulled a great one on Justin Barnett one night...

Since Facebook is the ruler of the college society, the student section set up a fake account with a picture of an attractive girl on it. They send messages to players from teams coming into play at their stadium and basically say things about hanging out with them after the game and things. Seeing as how most 19-24 year old guys will jump at the shot to kick it with random hot girl they never plan on seeing again, this is pretty effective. Well they get the players phone number, info all kinds of stuff.

With Barnett, When he stepped on the floor the male dominant student section started yelling Barnett over and over. JB finally aknowledged them only to have all 20-25 of them hold u signs with his phone number on it and a sign that said "We are Amber Bryant" (the fake name they used) That is by far one of the most creative attacks I have seen. They got the numbers of ALOT of the guys on our team that night and would yell them out. They would chant Amber Bryant during free throws. They were really creative. They were also leaving messages on the cell phones.

Just thought I would throw that out there since the Pit Crew is kickin ass form what I hear. You can never do too much!

That was something he did to himself. I just think there's a line to be drawn.

Totally disagree. The line should be drawn at yelling about a sick mother, a sexual assault (if you're yelling at a female player) or something of this sort. This isn't even in that category. Nobody gets hurt, you KNOW it gets under their skin, and it's funny as hell.

I think this is what the thread was really supposed to be about

------------------

On March 4, University of California Berkeley (Cal) played a basketball game against the University of Southern California (USC). With Cal in contention for the PAC-10 title and the NCAA tournament at stake, the game was a must-win.

Enter "Victoria."

Victoria was a hoax UCLA co-ed, created by Cal's Rally Committee. For the previous week, "she" had been chatting with Gabe Pruitt, USC's starting guard, over AOL Instant Messenger. It got serious. Pruitt and several of his teammates made plans to go to Westwood after the game so that they could party with Victoria and her friends.

On Saturday, at the game, when Pruitt was introduced in the starting lineup, the chants began: "Victoria, Victoria." One of the fans held up a sign with her phone number.

The look on Pruitt's face when he turned to the bench after the first Victoria chant was priceless. The expression was unlike anything ever seen in collegiate or pro sports. Never did a chant by the opposing crowd have such an impact on a visiting player. Pruitt was in total shock. (This is the only picture I could find.)

The chant "Victoria" lasted all night. To add to his embarrassment, transcripts of their IM conversations were handed out to the bench before the game: "You look like you have a very fit body." "Now I want to c u so bad."

Pruitt ended up a miserable 3-for-13 from the field.

(See also here and here.)

Security morals? First, this is the cleverest social engineering attack I've read about in a long time. Second, authentication is hard in little text windows -- but it's no less important. (Although even if this were a real co-ed recruited for the ruse, authentication wouldn't have helped.) And third, you can hoodwink college basketball players if you get them thinking with their hormones.

I think this is what the thread was really supposed to be about

------------------

On March 4, University of California Berkeley (Cal) played a basketball game against the University of Southern California (USC). With Cal in contention for the PAC-10 title and the NCAA tournament at stake, the game was a must-win.

Enter "Victoria."

Victoria was a hoax UCLA co-ed, created by Cal's Rally Committee. For the previous week, "she" had been chatting with Gabe Pruitt, USC's starting guard, over AOL Instant Messenger. It got serious. Pruitt and several of his teammates made plans to go to Westwood after the game so that they could party with Victoria and her friends.

On Saturday, at the game, when Pruitt was introduced in the starting lineup, the chants began: "Victoria, Victoria." One of the fans held up a sign with her phone number.

The look on Pruitt's face when he turned to the bench after the first Victoria chant was priceless. The expression was unlike anything ever seen in collegiate or pro sports. Never did a chant by the opposing crowd have such an impact on a visiting player. Pruitt was in total shock. (This is the only picture I could find.)

The chant "Victoria" lasted all night. To add to his embarrassment, transcripts of their IM conversations were handed out to the bench before the game: "You look like you have a very fit body." "Now I want to c u so bad."

Pruitt ended up a miserable 3-for-13 from the field.

(See also here and here.)

Security morals? First, this is the cleverest social engineering attack I've read about in a long time. Second, authentication is hard in little text windows -- but it's no less important. (Although even if this were a real co-ed recruited for the ruse, authentication wouldn't have helped.) And third, you can hoodwink college basketball players if you get them thinking with their hormones.

Granted this story did happen... I also know it happened to Justin Barnett when he was here at UNT. I live with the guy and he still remembers it as one of the best student pranks pulled against him.

Yes, this story actually did happen to me. They had also gotten Kendrick Davis and I think Calvin Watson too, but since I was the one they got to first, I got the brunt of the attack.

As a player, you do hear the stuff that fans are yelling, and you ignore most of it, but sometimes its all you can do to not laugh or say something back. U-La-La, Denver, and USA were probably the best when it came to heckling.

At Denver, there was never anybody there so you could hear anything that anybody said. One of the guys kept telling me "Barnett, you want a beer? I'll get you a beer, just nod your head, you don't even have to look over here. I'll put it in one of those Powerade cups so nobody will notice." They also got ahold of Micah Bracy pretty good. "Micah, Johnny isn't paying attention, you guys are getting blown out. Just walk over to the table and check in! You'll be in the game before he can do anything about it! It will be great!"

The other 2 schools would print out everybody's bio from our UNT athletics webpage and yell stuff about our familes, our high schools, our high school coaches, etc. Having somebody yell that my dad was a scrub at Pepperdine and that I would never even be as good as him, that was pretty good.

So when we scream at players for being "foul machines" and make fun of them for having no points in the game and mock the assistant coaches when they tell players to "box out" and when we ride bench players (especially once they get into the game) and when we ask players if they have Facebook pages so we can tag them sitting on the bench... do these things work??

:lol::lol: For Real .... sounds like someone must have once responded to a junk email of someone claiming to be a HOT female ready to take her clothes off for u on cam !!!

No, no, I'm sure it was supposed to be real! She seemed so -- so willing! But then it went all wrong! All I got was some guy from Nigeria telling me to send my info so he could process my winnings in the Sumatran lottery, so I did, but instead he stole all my money! And then the hot girl still didn't show up! I just wanted love -- it that so wrong?

So when we scream at players for being "foul machines" and make fun of them for having no points in the game and mock the assistant coaches when they tell players to "box out" and when we ride bench players (especially once they get into the game) and when we ask players if they have Facebook pages so we can tag them sitting on the bench... do these things work??

I dont know if this was directed at the idea I posted or not but all i am trying to do is give some idea that have been done before.... but hey its your group...

No, no, I'm sure it was supposed to be real! She seemed so -- so willing! But then it went all wrong! All I got was some guy from Nigeria telling me to send my info so he could process my winnings in the Sumatran lottery, so I did, but instead he stole all my money! And then the hot girl still didn't show up! I just wanted love -- it that so wrong?

"I'm Chris Hansen and I am with the Dateline show To Catch a Predator"

I dont know if this was directed at the idea I posted or not but all i am trying to do is give some idea that have been done before.... but hey its your group...

Not really what I was going for at all. I was just asking the former player if these things are effective. Yours is a good idea, though. You get a gold star. :)

I would say over 50 percent of what is said or yelled goes in one ear and out the other. When you've played for long enough to get to the college level, you hear about everything. I was playing against Duncanville my junior year in high school and one of their fans yelled during warmup "Hey Barnett! Nice nose! I f***ed your mom!"

That said, yelling things from the bios, or any crazy stuff (Facebook schemes, sock puppets, offers of beer, I even had a guy yelling at my sideburns for half a game from 3 rows up) does tend to get your attention. I know we loved the Pit Crew shenanigans and looked forward to what they were going to come up with next.

Atmosphere makes all the difference in the world when you're on the road, so for a team to have to come into the Pit and deal with heckling fans, especially good heckling fans, does make a difference. Its not that it will completely throw you off your game, but you may be a little bit on edge, and man do you notice it when you get back to the bench and you're losing.

Atmosphere makes all the difference in the world when you're on the road, so for a team to have to come into the Pit and deal with heckling fans, especially good heckling fans, does make a difference. Its not that it will completely throw you off your game, but you may be a little bit on edge, and man do you notice it when you get back to the bench and you're losing.

We tend to focus on those players a lot. We made fun of this Indiana State kid for having K-Fed hair. This last game against Hartford, we thrashed this dude for having an Abe Lincoln chin-strap beard. His friend had more fouls than points for the first half of the game. That was our favorite pair.

We love new material, but it's good to know that our current efforts aren't all in vain. :)