Why Not Bring Out Navy With Big Ovation?

PlummMeanGreen

This has nothing to do with any war or politics or anything like that, but this is a unique match-up, none like we've ever had in Denton in our entire football history. Don't you know Navy officials (and fans) back in Annapolis would kill to have this game back home post their huge Notre Dame long losing streak win last week on the national NBC telecast...................but this football game will be at Fouts Field instead.

As the NBC Notre Dame anouncers said in Navy's win over the Irish, "Navy has no blue-chippers" but those who joined the Navy to serve their country first and then play football second.

As we all know, this Middle Eastern bru-haha is probably going to be with us for awhile and many of the Navy football players we see come out of the Fouts Field north tunnel will (eventually) be part of this war.

Granted, our team wears green and we show Navy who our support will be post kick-off, but for one shining (patriotic) moment this Saturday at 3:00 PM Central Standard Time, lets surprise the Mid-Shipmen by giving them the kind of ovation their fans back in Annapolis wish they could be in Denton, Texas, to give their team.

Yes, it probably would be so un-North Texas-like for us to do something like this as the Navy football team officially comes out the tunnel onto Fouts Field right before the kick-off-------------but lets do it anyway and give their press box radio broadcasters and their listeners back home in Maryland something to all but be shocked about from those fans of "that Texas university down in Denton, Texas, America, who gave our team such a thunderous ovation. Who knows, such a response by our Mean Green fans might get both AD's talking about more games for the future, albeit won't be the main reason we would give the Middies' such an ovatoin.

I suppose (like many of you) I'm just another native Texan wanting to be hospitable to our visitors this Saturday, especially special visitors that just happen to be one of our United States Service Academies and with team members who signed up to protect all of us and our national defense for starters.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I'm all for good sportsmanship and supporting the opponent POST GAME. Stay and stand for the playing of the Naval Academy school song. Cheer as loud as you can to show your support for the sacrifice they have chosen to make for our country. But I for one, will not cheer -- nor will I boo, for the middies when they take the field. However, I will cheer as loud as possible for the MEAN GREEN when they take the field. I hope it is a good, hard-fought football game, but they are still the opponent and I will never cheer for an opponent until the contest is complete.

I concur, Plumm, and had planned to do that myself. Let's be VERY hospitable. I plan to make any of their fans I meet feel welcome, with a caveat...at kickoff we will sound the deguello!

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online...es/DD/xed1.html

I was thinking about what I posted previously. Does our band have this music? I remember the chilling sound from "Davy Crockett" but that has been a LONG time ago.

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online...es/DD/xed1.html

I was thinking about what I posted previously. Does our band have this music? I remember the chilling sound from "Davy Crockett" but that has been a LONG time ago.

I'm not sure we want to trot out the Cut Throat song to a school that has air power and long-range artillery. I think Boomer might be a little out-gunned.

Great Post! I totally agree!

i hope somebody will stand up and applaud for me. Not only will I not be able to attend the game but it's unlikely I'll be able to listen to it because I have a fundraiser I'm attending (and helping set up) that day. I know it's going to be a great game and I hope there is great support shown for all around.

I think most of us will give the Mid-Shipmen a very nice ovation mainly because of their service to our country; that is, their service to help keep our country free so we can keep the kind of Freedom of Speech as we even exhibit on GoMeanGreen.com Of course, there are many other reasons in our U.S. Constitution as to why I believe most of us on this forum will honor some of our nation's best this Saturday at 3:00 PM.............

YET................once there has been a kick-off, it will be like we are playing one of our most heated SBC rivals because we are:

NORTH TEXAS! :thumbsup::king::clapping::sorcerer::santa::wub:

Trivial Fact: If we have the crowd we all expect this Saturday afternoon, it will be the largest November home crowd in our entire Mean Green football history.

Weather For Saturday: Sunshine, 80 degrees and NO WIND!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen