Bonfire

GreenMachine

I've been building a bit this year- from what I saw before I had to go last night (so I could be a grown-up and work this morning), they were close to complete. Mind you, this was at 10pm. It looks as big as it usually does and the weather, aside from being cold and windy was alright. The rain held up some things Monday but I gathered from the actives that it didn't slow them down to any sort of real deadline problem.

Translation:

Looks good. Real good.

This was probably one of the hardest bonfires to ever build. Many huge things went wrong such as weather and Miller's truck breaking down forcing me to get a trailer hooked to my truck and driving back and forth all day getting pallets.

It was a tough week, as always is with bonfire, but it is done. Final size is approx: 31x45 (We cheated a little and made it bigger)

Hope to see a good number of ya'll come out tonight.

Go Mean Green . . . Dot Com

This was probably one of the hardest bonfires to ever build. Many huge things went wrong such as weather and Miller's truck breaking down forcing me to get a trailer hooked to my truck and driving back and forth all day getting pallets.

It was a tough week, as always is with bonfire, but it is done. Final size is approx: 31x45 (We cheated a little and made it bigger)

Hope to see a good number of ya'll come out tonight.

Go Mean Green . . . Dot Com

Thanks Boomer23, I envy you guys more than you could ever know. I was extremely involved with the bonfire as a Talon so for you to mention those details brings back fond memories! I wouldn't think about missing the fire tonight. One of the core groups fostering spirit at UNT deserves our support!!

BE THERE! WEAR GREEN! YELL LOUD! S U P P O R T UNT and the TALONS!

Edited by GreenExes

I also miss Bonfire....:(

One of the members I met years ago and barely remembered sent me an email out of the blue the other day and metioned the problems current membership was having. I don't think a year ever went by where we DIDN'T have some sort of an issue with "the stack".

Just be glad you didn't almost burn down the golf course like Emmitt and I did one year. :lol:

Edited by CMJ

I also miss Bonfire....:(

One of the members I met years ago and barely remembered sent me an email out of the blue the other day and metioned the problems current membership was having. I don't think a year ever went by where we DIDN'T have some sort of an issue with "the stack".

Just be glad you didn't almost burn down the golf course like Emmitt and I did one year. :lol:

Every year, something crazy happens. It's the influence of those palette gnomes. I am, however, waiting to hear a story about someone dropping their car keys or phone down the through the stack.

thats still my fave bonfire of all time...

Were you there the afternoon when Emmitt and I did that? It was only us and maybe 3-4 other people.

For those of you that don't know the story, this is how it went down. Emmitt and I dumped out the ashes of the previous night's burn barrel out at the Talon campsite. We watched the ashes for a minute or two...even dumped a bucket of water over them. We figured it was good to go. I went up to work on the stack with the others minus Emmitt who was talking to some alumni that stopped by if I recall correctly.

After 3-4 minutes Emmitt called up to me "Biz, do you see smoke over there?" I was about 16+ft up, gazed over, and didn't notice anything - so I yelled back no. About 30 seconds later I see Emmitt sprinting towards a small fire blazing. So those of us on the stack, jumped off, & ran over to help out. The fire was already several feet in diameter and quickly growing because the grass was dry as hell. We had buckets that we were going to use to soak the torches in diesel fuel - and used those to bail water out of the water hazzard and put the fire out. We were able to put it out within acouple of minutes, but it was hairy at first. Another minute or so - and we may not have gotten it under control.

Oh yeah, the fire burned a good part of one of the pledge's tents too. :lol:

Edited by CMJ

Were you there the afternoon when Emmitt and I did that? It was only us and maybe 3-4 other people.

For those of you that don't know the story, this is how it went down. Emmitt and I dumped out the ashes of the previous night's burn barrel out at the Talon campsite. We watched the ashes for a minute or two...even dumped a bucket of water over them. We figured it was good to go. I went up to work on the stack with the others minus Emmitt who was talking to some alumni that stopped by if I recall correctly.

After 3-4 minutes Emmitt called up to me "Biz, do you see smoke over there?" I was about 16+ft up, gazed over, and didn't notice anything - so I yelled back no. About 30 seconds later I see Emmitt sprinting towards a small fire blazing. So those of us on the stack, jumped off, & ran over to help out. The fire was already several feet in diameter and quickly growing because the grass was dry as hell. We had buckets that we were going to use to soak the torches in diesel fuel - and used those to bail water out of the water hazzard and put the fire out. We were able to put it out within acouple of minutes, but it was hairy at first. Another minute or so - and we may not have gotten it under control.

Oh yeah, the fire burned a good part of one of the pledge's tents too. :lol:

no i wasnt, my mistake... i thought you were talking about the year where the bonfire was so hot they were asking people to move their cars off the street behind the bonfire because they were afraid it would melt the car's paint. was in the early 2000s...

no i wasnt, my mistake... i thought you were talking about the year where the bonfire was so hot they were asking people to move their cars off the street behind the bonfire because they were afraid it would melt the car's paint. was in the early 2000s...

We did that every year.

But it very well could've been the same year, because that was 2001(the year of the near Golf course catastrophe) - which was the biggest Bonfire ever(by accident - a whole other story :lol: ).

Edited by CMJ

I've been building a bit this year- from what I saw before I had to go last night (so I could be a grown-up and work this morning), they were close to complete. Mind you, this was at 10pm. It looks as big as it usually does and the weather, aside from being cold and windy was alright. The rain held up some things Monday but I gathered from the actives that it didn't slow them down to any sort of real deadline problem.

Translation:

Looks good. Real good.

yeah thats the one. it was ridic-huge! it was hot, HOT standing at the front

then there was the year one of the members fell off the front of the stack.. he was OK, just damaged a little :) ..... then the year somebody snuck in and set it ablaze early, then there was the year it wasn't because it was so dry so they had to use xmas lights and couldnt burn (yes, i still made it then too)... so many good memories :) i hope this is the best yet! i'm looking at past bonfire pictures and thinking about ya'll. take pictures! plz share when you can. i can't belive I'm not there :(

First time to go, took the boys... Seemed like a good crowd. Got there early enough to get a couple Mean Green beach towels and a couple beanies. Bonfire was awesome and big! From 100yrds I could feel the heat. Forgot the camera, but plenty of worthy photo opportunities ;)

Edited by jimmyjames_99

I just got back to my hotel from the bonfire - first time in 25 years I've been able to go to it - fantastic!

If only all of the students that were there would go to the game, Fouts would be overflowing!

I just have to say, as a current student who loves UNT and bleeds green, it's great to see all of the alumni come back for homecoming and know that you guys still support the school we all love. Despite not being a "big time" school in Texas, you guys have stuck with it through the years and I appreciate yall. I look forward to coming back 25 years later and seeing how things have changed and gotten better.

bonfire07_288x216.jpg

Thank you to ADLER for sending me this photo just now here at the firestation. I greatly appreciate it. Sounds like we had a great crowd tonight. Fireworks before they lit the fire. I wished I could have taken the F5 and F4, they would have loved it.

Rick

thx for sharing the pic. It looks like it was huge! GO MEAN GREEN!