On Track

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Guest Aquila_Viridis

I struggled to explain how it was that our administration could allow our football to produce such miserable results. But after I saw the score last night, there was a flash, like the flash of an opponent's player streaking (careful Quoner) through our secondary. It suddenly occurred to me that it is all going according to plan! We have seen past administrators recognize that athletics is a window on the university. So it is clear that the window has been thrown wide open, and we are proclaiming to the world that not only is NT NOT focused on athletics; to the contrary, NT is so focused on ACADEMICS that we must have a terrible football team to bolster our academic reputation. The relative successes of some NT athletic programs in recent years was only to prove that, if we WANTED TO, we COULD have outstanding athletic programs. That was phase 1. Now we are saying to the world, every time a score like 66-7 rolls by, that even though we COULD avoid such outcomes, nay, we invite them, because it demonstrates our commitment to achieve the highest ACADEMIC standards. Friends and fellow pipe dreamers, we have talked about getting into a better conference, but we were WAY OFF. Our bid to the IVY LEAGUE is only a few years - or at the rate we're going, perhaps months - away. How jolly!

I struggled to explain how it was that our administration could allow our football to produce such miserable results. But after I saw the score last night, there was a flash, like the flash of an opponent's player streaking (careful Quoner) through our secondary. It suddenly occurred to me that it is all going according to plan! We have seen past administrators recognize that athletics is a window on the university. So it is clear that the window has been thrown wide open, and we are proclaiming to the world that not only is NT NOT focused on athletics; to the contrary, NT is so focused on ACADEMICS that we must have a terrible football team to bolster our academic reputation. The relative successes of some NT athletic programs in recent years was only to prove that, if we WANTED TO, we COULD have outstanding athletic programs. That was phase 1. Now we are saying to the world, every time a score like 66-7 rolls by, that even though we COULD avoid such outcomes, nay, we invite them, because it demonstrates our commitment to achieve the highest ACADEMIC standards. Friends and fellow pipe dreamers, we have talked about getting into a better conference, but we were WAY OFF. Our bid to the IVY LEAGUE is only a few years - or at the rate we're going, perhaps months - away. How jolly!

If I understand the above rant...........then I think you should change your name to Tequila Rediculous. Present and current admins showed starting with the RV hire and Dickey (while successful) along with the new athletic centers,etc that they are focussing on athletics: all be it 30yrs later than needed. Firing Dickey when he got off track and bringing in Dodge is consistent with our direction. We all agree that we are outmanned when playing these "larger" programs. But these agreements are made way in the future and it's a credit to Dodge that he came in fearlessly it give it a go anyway. We have been playing teams whose coaches have been with their schools for years...and their players..the same players since recruitment. Our coach has been with his players approx 90days....and he only recruited @ 1/4 of them (I'll stand correctable for the exact figure). And his players are recruited for the new format....he inherited "Dickey-ball" players. And I can assure you, future recruits will not be the type you would have seen if Dickey were still here. Current results are NOT the results of an administrative conspiracy. For your point to have merit....we have to keep losing on purpose due to some sinister plan. We are taking "baby steps" of improvent each week................yeah I know...we're still losing.............dont miss my point. David slew Goliath with one shot, and I'll bet it took him longer than 90 days to get it down !!!

Guest Aquila_Viridis

If I understand the above rant...........then I think you should change your name to Tequila Rediculous. Present and current admins showed starting with the RV hire and Dickey (while successful) along with the new athletic centers,etc that they are focussing on athletics: all be it 30yrs later than needed. Firing Dickey when he got off track and bringing in Dodge is consistent with our direction. We all agree that we are outmanned when playing these "larger" programs. But these agreements are made way in the future and it's a credit to Dodge that he came in fearlessly it give it a go anyway. We have been playing teams whose coaches have been with their schools for years...and their players..the same players since recruitment. Our coach has been with his players approx 90days....and he only recruited @ 1/4 of them (I'll stand correctable for the exact figure). And his players are recruited for the new format....he inherited "Dickey-ball" players. And I can assure you, future recruits will not be the type you would have seen if Dickey were still here. Current results are NOT the results of an administrative conspiracy. For your point to have merit....we have to keep losing on purpose due to some sinister plan. We are taking "baby steps" of improvent each week................yeah I know...we're still losing.............dont miss my point. David slew Goliath with one shot, and I'll bet it took him longer than 90 days to get it down !!!

Now if there is any impairment of my judgement, it is strictly because of allergy medication, and I know neither the latin nor the spanish words for that, so we are stuck with the current name despite how it lends itself to such 'ad hominem' attacks on my vision.

Dickey showed his inability to make adjusments, on every scale. But the players he brought must have SOME gas in the tank. OK, so you totally sidestepped my attack on the administration and defended the coach. Let me just put this right out, your expectations are WAY TOO LOW in that department, and of course you've said mine are too high. Proper strategy, teaching and motivation would be producing closer results. That is not a bunch of babies out there!

I just assumed Dodge was starting the worst QB on purpose to sabotage the threat NT football poses to his alma mater's dominance in this state. There is room in my conspiracy theory that he is in cahoots with administration who have other motivations for sabotaging the program.

I haven't yet determined how Mendoza's simple basic high school cover 1 fits into this, but I am open to suggestions.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

I haven't yet determined how Mendoza's simple basic high school cover 1 fits into this, but I am open to suggestions.

I think you are on to something here ... maybe they should try covering more than 1.

My intentions Are low (compared to yours). But they are realistic for first 90 days, 1/2 season...you pick it I dont care !! Your expectations are rediculous. I agree 2 games were probably winnable without the meltdowns in 4th qtrs.................but come on !!! ...........with the exception of those several plays...I saw some really fun football for a change........even Romo flubbed a criticle snap. I get the gas tank comment......disagree there too. Less tanks,less gas at the wrong times will cause the same stall out. I expect this to change also, and I hope sooner than later. I will not banter any further with you. I'll bow out as not knowing a damn thing about football....(although I played a long time and have a family full of coaches)...............but if you take a poll amoung people with a brain..... you'll learn I'm not too far off the mark.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

I will not banter any further with you.

Aw, man, now that's just a shame. I took a poll among people who may or may not have a brain, and some of them said that 'bantering further with me' is their next most favorite activity after 'watching their team get beat by 50 or more points'.

I am really going to attempt to wean myself from the subject of Darrell Dickey and Dickey Ball and where it really has this program today after his 9 years in Denton, but since we seem to have so many comparisons going on of late on these threads, it's been a bit difficult to do but.............

...........anyone (and no matter who "anyone" is) who accepts Darrell Dickey's annual Bottom 25 of so-called football success in a SBC still in diapers (if you will) and then going to bowl games as a Bottom 25 (and no where even close to Top 25 rankings) in what truly became our annual SBC/Bottom 25 co-existance; anyway, anyone who was accepting or just hunky-dory of that kind of NCAA D1-A football never experienced 6 short years of the Fry Era at UNT (which raised the bar for many of us on this forum) or................... just does't have very high expecations for Mean Green football (and probably never will with all their "seemed" limited expectations for the University of North Texas and its varsity football program).

In fact, I am trying to decide what was worse for our football program the last 30+ years I've followed Mean Green football and that being:

(1) 13 years in NCAA D1-AA football which lost a generation (or 2) of Mean Green fans or was it

(2) 9 years of alll the veiled success that DD Ball gave too many of our alums who apparently don't think our school worthy of Top 25 football a la Boise State (remember them(?), one of DD's former opponents who went one direction post-Big West break-up while we, uh. :rolleyes: went the DD Ball direction?

One day in the near future, Todd Dodge will truly get the last laugh with all this and his "early signings class of 2008" will probably be the first of many, many chuckles from our coach (although I don't think he the type to worry about who gets the last laugh).

Like the UH Coog alum who came on this board after he read all this DD vs. TDodge tommyrot said (and I liberally paraphrase redallover):

"Be patient UNT fans, your football future is bright." (The red in honor of redallover's alma mater off Cullen Blvd in H-town).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen