Nt Vs Alabama

EastTexasMG

I confirmed that with Coach.....right after his show. (wanted to make sure I had heard it right).

He also confirmed all the other games that we have coming up: (Air Force, Rice, K-State at home in various years).....LSU, Bama, Clemson, K State, and Rice on the road.

Being a guy, I love the Hooter's gals.......but THE SHOW WAS MUCH BETTER TONIGHT AT SWEETWATER. Everyone could hear what Coach was saying. So, I'll miss the eye candy........but will certainly enjoy the show more, now that it's at Sweetwater. Hank said they might move it to the enclosed patio next week.

All in all, a great show.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I thought NT was not going to have anymore body bag games after 2008!

The goal of North Texas and the Sun Belt Conference was to have no more than one 'body bag' game per year. LSU in 2008, Alabama in 2009, and (I assume) Clemson in 2010 fill that bill. Kansas State is not considered a body bag game because they are coming here in 2010.

No body bag ... all we have to do is beat them in Tuscaloosa with an incredible pass in OT from our DFW-area-product starting quarterback in 2009 -- just like Georgia did on Saturday with Matthew Stafford from HP, sending about 85,000 very sad Alabamans out the gates.

Dodge's goal will be actually beating them, not just collecting the remains (and the check) and getting on the plane home.

The goal of North Texas and the Sun Belt Conference was to have no more than one 'body bag' game per year. LSU in 2008, Alabama in 2009, and (I assume) Clemson in 2010 fill that bill. Kansas State is not considered a body bag game because they are coming here in 2010.

I think we go to Kansas State next year----so that would be two next year.

That one per year....may be a goal.....but you've got to pay the bills.

I really don't consider Clemson a "body-bag" game.

I think we go to Kansas State next year----so that would be two next year.

That one per year....may be a goal.....but you've got to pay the bills.

One per year was what I thought they were suggesting when I heard we would play less "big" games. You are right, you still have to pay the bills.

They usually flirt with the top 25. Right now they're #13 in the AP, Coaches, & Harris polls. And they have a huge stadium and will pay us quite a bit to come to SC.

How is that not a body bag game?

Well maybe I need to take a harder look at them, but they just seem to be up and down from year to year, usually losing each year to at least 2 teams they have no business losing to, which I guess gives me hope.

They usually flirt with the top 25. Right now they're #13 in the AP, Coaches, & Harris polls. And they have a huge stadium and will pay us quite a bit to come to SC.

How is that not a body bag game?

In the last 7 years including the four wins this season, they are a combined 49 - 28. They may blow us out, but with Dodge and his offense in tune by that time with his players, combined with Clemson's history, I don't see that as a bb game.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Well maybe I need to take a harder look at them, but they just seem to be up and down from year to year, usually losing each year to at least 2 teams they have no business losing to, which I guess gives me hope.

They have averaged finishing 26th in the country over the last 10 years. They only had one year (1998) in the last ten when they finished worse than 45. They also average close to 80 thousand attendance every year and they're not coming here. Definitely a body bag game.

Then again, maybe by 2010 it won't be.

I don't believe Fresno State called them body bag games, they called them opportunities to showcase their program and to elevate their standards and recruiting.

This is division 1 football. If your affraid to play D-1 teams then UNT should have stayed in AA ball.

Not us at UNT...we are all about Body bags... We just got rid of a coach that felt like tuckin his tail and running for his life in these games... Dodge showed us that he did not care if we were losing 100-0, he was going to run his offense and let his team get some reps.... The attitude towards these "body bag" games is changing, but alot of us are just tired of watching them.

The game that everyone hasn't mentioned is Rice. I would love to see more games like this on the schedule. I think home and home series with Rice, SMU, Baylor, TCU, Tulsa, Houston, Tulane, La Tech, UTEP, and New Mexico St (and others) would be great for UNT for two reasons.

1) The schools are close enough for a decent number of students and fans to travel.

2) UNT has a legitimate chance of winning most of those. As most of the posters on this board have mentioned, W's matter.

I think these types of games, in addition to getting teams like Navy into Denton, will do alot to raise the enthusiasm for UNT football. Let's face it, despite the fact that FAU and Western Kentucky are in our conference, they just aren't likely to generate much buzz, outside of bigtime fans. But the casual fan can get a little more excited about a cross-town or I-45 rivalry.

UNT seems to be doing more of this and I think it is a positive thing.

Just my 2 cents.

Body Bag games are not that bad, IMHO, IF you are trying to raise the overall competitiveness of your team. How do you know what the best looks like and how do you know how far you are from the top if you don't play the best. I think this coaching staff will continue to approach these games with a positive, let's take a shot attitude. I was never a harsh critic of the previous regime but I always thought they waved the white flag too quickly and easily in those games, and that galled me.

Someone with the capability should survey the players and ask them if they want twelve games against the Little Sisters of the Poor every season so that they could possibly claim a perfect record. I suspect they WANT to go toe-to-toe with two or three big-name programs in the OOC portion of the schedule because our guys are competitors and winners. Wins matter but a steady diet of cupcakes wouldn't lead to respect.

Body bag games ARE bad when you rely on them exclusively to keep your program financially viable and must play three or four every year to balance the books.

Just my opinion.

I don't believe Fresno State called them body bag games, they called them opportunities to showcase their program and to elevate their standards and recruiting.

This is division 1 football. If your affraid to play D-1 teams then UNT should have stayed in AA ball.

It's not about being affraid to play D-1 teams, it's about being realistic. You call them whatever you want, but they are all there for the same purpose. Raising money for a football program that has to support many other non-rev sports and can't do it with attendance and BCS money and a great TV deal. Where do you think most schools get there budgets so the diving team can fly to a meet in North Carolina or the golf team can compete in California? It comes from the revenue sports and that's mainly football and men's basketball.

So yes they are opportunities, opportunities to make a good amount of money. I'm not saying North Texas doesn't go in trying to win, of course they do. And if a coach ever went into a game not trying to win it he should be fired on the spot. I have no problem playing a money game, I would just also like to see more non-con games that we view as winnable. Maybe one money game, three winnable games. We have/had two this year. Just don't know if that's financially feasible right now.

A money game does not have to be a "body-bag" game. The BCS team is paying us to not have to return a game in Denton. Why can't we go somewhere, kick their ass and still walk away with half-a-million ? This WILL happen, only question is when and who will it be.

I am curious about the K-State deal, though. I'm thinking it's a 2-for-1. I'm wondering if we're getting a half-money-game fee (say 250-300K maybe) for each appearance at K-State. That might not be so bad....2 years of 1 1/2 money games with one Fouts sellout in between.

Alabama would have to be my favorite SEC place to do a money game. There are more winnable venues in the SEC, like Vanderbilt or So Carolina, but they won't pay as much as the top dogs. And the visiting fans don't have to avoid Molotov Cocktails (college football version) like at LSU. That might be why they're paying 700K now.