Volleyball Drop 3 Straight At Shocker Classic

untbowler

Not a good start at all. I listened to one game and NT was not competitive. However, those teams are unfortunately in another league. Wichita State last year averaged over 2200 in attendance for volleyball, which is more than NT in men's basketball. To be honest you cannot expect NT with it's cracker-box gym and Belt affiliation to be able to come close to recruiting against this level of programs at this time. It is equivalent to the football team playing the UT and OU's of the world.

Not a good start at all. I listened to one game and NT was not competitive. However, those teams are unfortunately in another league. Wichita State last year averaged over 2200 in attendance for volleyball, which is more than NT in men's basketball. To be honest you cannot expect NT with it's cracker-box gym and Belt affiliation to be able to come close to recruiting against this level of programs at this time. It is equivalent to the football team playing the UT and OU's of the world.

Yep, because Wichita State is in such a dynamic super conference.

Grand, I don't agree. You could have a good program now, with the facilities and conference you have. Sure, it would be easier if you were in the PAC 10 with a great gym, but you don't have to.

We got a little lucky, but in the 1990s, our girls went to the Final Four...beating Austin a west coast teams to get there. Honestly, if our setter hand't had a bad match, I think we could have won the national championship. Last year, the program was 25-10 (but not as high profile and without the national notoriety of the final four team). You may just stink because of coaching, off year, whatever. We stunk 2 years ago real badly. We may stink again this year, but I hope not. But, you could put together nice, competitive teams with what you have, IMHO.

Could be like Gonzaga in men's BB. In the case of VB, just like Men's BB, a conference doesn't really pre-determine the performance of a program. Just like BB, a VB program isn't nearly as pricy as a FB program, so you can do more with less.

Agreed, but I was referring to this post:

Wichita State last year averaged over 2200 in attendance for volleyball, which is more than NT in men's basketball. To be honest you cannot expect NT with it's cracker-box gym and Belt affiliation to be able to come close to recruiting against this level of programs at this time.

Yep, because Wichita State is in such a dynamic super conference.

Well obviously I think to most, a team averaging over 2000 a game for volleyball has a slight recruiting advantage over a team that averages maybe a tenth of that and plays in a gym with a capacity of 600 with one of the lowest ceilings in college volleyball. Yes a combination of the right coach and a few excellent players can elevate a team to excel despite facilities and affiliations, but it is not common even in the lesser sports.

After losing all three matches in NT's home tournament over the weekend to powerhouses like Georgia State and Texas State, it appears that NT has a lot of improving to do to be competitive in the Belt. Last I saw the MUTs were undefeated and had beaten some highly ranked teams. NT started slow last year and ended up with one of their best seasons, hopefullly that can be repeated.