Unt Picked To Finish 7th

Harry

http://meangreen.beloblog.com/

The Sun Belt Conference just released its preseason all-conference team and coaches poll at the league's annual media days.

UNT is picked to finish seventh out of eight teams in the league in the poll that is voted on by conference's head coaches. Troy was picked to win the title and received five out of the eight first-place votes. Arkansas State, Louisiana-Monroe and Florida Atlantic also received first-place votes.

UNT had four players named to the all-conference team that is voted on by the league's coaches and select media members. Linebacker Maurice Holman, defensive lineman Jeremiah Chapman and defensive back Aaron Weathers were all named to the team. The Mean Green's other selection was punter Truman Spencer.

Troy quarterback Omar Haugabook and Arkansas State defensive back Tyrell Johnson were named the Offensive and Defensive Players of the Year, respectively.

The following is the poll and the all-conference team.

Preseason Sun Belt poll

The following is the Preseason Sun Belt Conference Poll as voted on by the league's eight head coaches. First place votes are in parenthesis.

1. Troy (5) 59

2. Middle Tennessee 44

3. Arkansas State (1) 43

T4. Louisiana-Lafayette 37

T4. Louisiana-Monroe (1) 37

6. Florida Atlantic (1) 36

7. North Texas 22

8. Florida Internationa 10

Preseason All-Sun Belt team

The following is the Preseason All-Sun Belt Conference as voted on by the league's head coaches and selected media members.

Offense

QB: Omar Haugabook, Troy

RB: Tyrell Fenroy, Louisiana-Lafayette; Calvin Dawson, Louisiana-Monroe

WR: LaGregory Sapp, Louisiana-Monroe; Gary Banks, Troy

TE: Zeek Zacharie, Louisiana-Monroe

OL: Matt Mandich, Arkansas State; Jesse Newman, Louisiana-Lafayette; Kyle Cunningham, Louisiana-Monroe; Adam Hill, Louisiana-Monroe; Franklin Dunbar, Middle Tennessee

Defense

DL: Josh Pinnick, Florida Atlantic; Tavares Jones, Middle Tennessee; Erik Walden, Middle Tennessee; Jeremiah Chapman, North Texas

LB: Koby McKinnon, Arkansas State; Cergile Sincere, Florida Atlantic; Maurice Holman, North Texas

DB: Tyrell Johnson, Arkansas State; Damon Nickson, Middle Tennessee; Aaron Weathers, North Texas; Leodis McKelvin, Troy

Special teams

P: Truman Spencer, North Texas

PK: Drew Edmiston, Louisiana-Lafayette

RS: Damon Nickson, Middle Tennessee

Preseason Offensive Player of the Year: Omar Haugabook, Troy

Preseason Defensive Player of the Year: Tyrell Johnson, Arkansas State

http://meangreen.beloblog.com/

J-Mo got snubbed. I think in the back of the coaches' minds they know we are a sleeper in the Belt. I expect Jamario/Cam to blow everyone away this year. And it would be a pleasant surprise for our soon-to-be-named starting QB to garner some awards and not just be acknowledged as "the guy that hands it off."

Guest GrayEagleOne

J-Mo got snubbed. I think in the back of the coaches' minds they know we are a sleeper in the Belt. I expect Jamario/Cam to blow everyone away this year. And it would be a pleasant surprise for our soon-to-be-named starting QB to garner some awards and not just be acknowledged as "the guy that hands it off."

Sorry, but I can't agree that J-Mo got snubbed.

Dawson gained more than 1600 yards last year and Fenroy more than 1300. Dawson ranked 18th in the entire country. Fenroy was 38th. I don't believe that Thomas was in the Top 100.

Now, IF J-Mo can return to his freshman form, then he is the best back in the conference. But, he's had two years to do that and we've seen very few flashes of his old self.

Dawson gained more than 1600 yards last year and Fenroy more than 1300. Dawson ranked 18th in the entire country. Fenroy was 38th. I don't believe that Thomas was in the Top 100.

Now, IF J-Mo can return to his freshman form, then he is the best back in the conference. But, he's had two years to do that and we've seen very few flashes of his old self.

Agreed...J-Mo has just barely over 1000 yards combined over his past two seasons. This is actually the most accurate all-conference tema I've seen and certainly the most UNT favorable. I've been under the belief that Chapman, Holman and Weathers have been getting snubbed by the other football publications and its nice to see all 3 on this first team voted on by those who actually know SBC football

Edited by Censored by Laurie

I spoke too soon. You're absolutely correct: in light of the previous two years he hasn't earned this. I meant to say I'm hoping that he returns to freshman form and gets on the Sun Belt team that counts: the post-season votes.

Edited by greenminer

I spoke too soon. You're absolutely correct: in light of the previous two years he hasn't earned this. I meant to say I'm hoping that he returns to freshman form and gets on the Sun Belt team that counts: the post-season votes.

So which player traveled to media day with Dodge? Just found the answer on another thread. No response needed. Thanks.

Edited by adman

So who was it?

Chapman

North Texas Mean Green

Head Coach Todd Dodge

Dodge is widely respected as one of the nation’s most successful high school football coaches for his winning records at Carroll High School in Southlake, Texas...During the five years that Carroll has been designated a Class 5A high school, Dodge won four state championships and compiled a staggering 79-1 record, including a 48-game winning streak to close out his tenure...Dodge served as UNT’s offensive coordinator in the 1992 and 1993 seasons...A former starting quarterback for Texas, Dodge threw for 2,791 career yards and 18 touchdowns.

Player Attendee Jeremiah Chapman

Named to second team All-Sun Belt Conference and started every game at defensive end in 2006...Posted a career-high 12 tackles and a forced fumble in game versus Middle Tennessee...Registered a season-high two sacks in win over ULL...Fifth on team in tackles with 52, the most of any defensive lineman...Registered four sacks on the season to lead the team...Sack total and tackles for loss total each landed him in the top 10 in the conference.