Let The Games Begin ! Rivals S T A R Power

MeanGreen61

Rivals is beginning to assign stars for recruits. UNT recruit Troy Franklin would have easily been a lock for a 3-star if he'd accepted an offer from one of the BCS teams that offered. Verbaling to UNT got him a 2-star 5.4, .1 under 3-star ranking. P O L I T I C S !

TROY FRANKLIN

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewp...mp;pr_key=55674

Just another reason UNT needs to upgrade across the board (and across the prairie at the Mean Green Village). Maybe its those sort of things that will help our HS seniors-to-be early committments suddenly gain an extra star from recruiting services? Those recruiting gurus are enamored with Big Time Schools and sell their services mostly to their constituencies, not a handful of non-BCS schools. Rivals knows where they need to put all their star power (so to speak).

Boise State (from what I've read) has rarely had any of their recruiting classes ranked high by Rivals. Well.......................so what? Boomer Barry Switzer said more than once during the OU/BSU bowl game that OU had recruited not even one Boise State football player; although, he did seem to slow down on that particular theme as the game continued. :surrender:

PERHAPS THE UPSIDE OF ALL THIS NO MATTER HOW RIVALS RANKS OUR EARLY RECRUITS? And that is new Mean Green Head Football Coach Todd Dodge & his fine staff of assistants will develop many 2 star recruits coming out of high school into 3 and 4 star college football players. Guess that is when all this star power business will really add up the most for UNT, right? Also, I think we will be able to depend on our UNT coaching staff (over recruiting gurus) to know which HS players out there have the true pedigree to make it at the NCAA D1-A level.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

That's just the way it is, folks.

Rivals has Riley Dodge listed at 6-0 188lbs. They will probably give him 3 stars. If he would have committed to us, he would be listed at 5-10 170lbs. (which is probably closer to reality) and be given two stars at best.

I think the best way to look at recruiting is:

1. The results years later (I like the way that Dave Campbell analyzes this every year).

2. What/how many schools are actively recruiting/offering the same player.

3. How he plays on the field in high school.

That's my thought.

GMG!

It used to be the big term was "blue-chip" player. How many blue chips did your program sign? I don't put any stock in this current "star" system since a school they commit to affects it, not just ability. Many lesser players mature to become better college players than the "stars" anyway. I trust Dodge knows what he likes in a player when he sees it. There was an interesting article about him being able to pick out who was the Jr. High QB just by watching kids walk out after school.

That's just the way it is, folks.

Rivals has Riley Dodge listed at 6-0 188lbs. They will probably give him 3 stars. If he would have committed to us, he would be listed at 5-10 170lbs. (which is probably closer to reality) and be given two stars at best.

I think the best way to look at recruiting is:

1. The results years later (I like the way that Dave Campbell analyzes this every year).

2. What/how many schools are actively recruiting/offering the same player.

3. How he plays on the field in high school.

That's my thought.

GMG!

Riley is up as a 5.7 3-star.