Vito's Blog

UNTLifer

A little about tomorrow's scrimmage

North Texas' football scrimmage tomorrow could provide a few clues as to where just about everyone on UNT's roster stands with the Mean Green's spring game rapidly approaching.

Head coach Todd Dodge said the scrimmage will have the No. 1 offense and No. 1 defense face off for 15 plays, followed by the No. 2 offense and defense for 15 plays and finally the third teams for 10 plays.

The scrimmage will conclude with the Mean Green running through certain situations, much like it did in its first scrimmage.

There is little doubt that Daniel Meager has tightened his grip on the starting quarterback job thus far in spring practice. What could be interesting is to see how the rest of the depth chart looks at this point.

The scrimmage and the spring game might be particularly important in a couple of position battles, including center and wide receiver. Kelvin Drake and Chad Rose are splitting time at center while several players are in the mix at wide receiver. UNT has six highly regarded receivers coming in this fall. Getting a leg up on the players already on the team would definitely help out players like Korey Washington and Brock Stickler, who are making a quick impression in spring practice.

It could also be interesting to see how Woody Wilson fares. Wilson is a terrific athlete who might be better off at another position if he cannot beat out Matt Phillips for the backup job, especially considering Giovanni Vizza will arrive in the fall. Vizza could compete for the starting job right away, leaving Wilson buried at fourth on the depth chart.

Wilson has the speed and quickness to contribute as a wide receiver or defensive back.

For more on the scrimmage, see tomorrow's edition of the Denton Record-Chronicle.

I hope the weather does not mess up this scrimage-

I would like to know which players are listed as 1st team offense and 1st team defense

I beleive Coach Dodge and his staff may be talking to Woody about a possible position

change. If this happens, I hope he can go to inside receiver to take advantage of his

speed!