Biggest Nt Accomplishment In 10 Years

The Jason

A buddy of mine at work talking yesterday and we came up with a great question. Alot of things have happened for UNT athletics in the last 10 years, what do you think was the biggest??

Hiring of Todd Dodge???

4 New Orleans Bowl Bids???

1 New Orleans Bowl Win??

23 game Conference Winning Streak???

Confrence Basketball Championship and Bid to the NCAA tournament????

Just as a side note: I am kinda torn on which I would go with, but I do think a win today against Memphis would be the biggest.

In the past ten years, the biggest accomplishment would have to be the win at the New Orleans Bowl, because of what came next.

The football program followed the bowl victory with two more bowl bids, two NCAA rushing champions, a few players making it into the NFL, a higher-profile football coach, increased attendance, and a push to build a new stadium. That win, it can be argued, was the springboard for the growth of the football team.

If UNT wins today and then builds on that success by continuing to recruit well and making regular visits to the NCAA and NIT, then today would be as big as the bowl win. But if this turns out to be like 1988 - one year and gone, then even two wins in the tournament this year would not be as big as the New Orleans Bowl win.

It's not just the event - it's what is built upon that event that decides its place in history.

It's huge. If we win today though, I'd say it's bigger than the NO Bowl win(that's still the crowning achievement) because we would get mentioned almost every year by CBS everytime they talk about upsets.

1991 #15 seed Richmond over No. 2 Syracuse.

1993 #15 seed Santa Clara over No. 2 Arizona.

1997 #15 seed Coppin State over No. 2 South Carolina(then they almost beat UT in the 2nd round).

2001 #15 seed Hampton defeating No. 2 Iowa State.

It can be done.

I'm a much bigger football fan than basketball, but I really think a win today does more for this program than all 4 New Orleans Bowls combined.

THIS is respect and recognition we would never get from a small crappy bowl game that no one but us gives a crap about.

I dont think any of the bowl appearances were great accomplishments, only because I feel that for

something to be an accomplishment something has to get built upon it. To say we won the NO bowl

to be followed up by a few more appearances to the same bowl that we lost, followed by a pair of losing seasons I wouldn't say we accomplished much in winning the NO bowl. Now if we won the NO bowl and then the following year got invited to another

'bigger' bowl. Then I would say we have accomplished something.

With that said I think the biggest accomplishment could be making it to March Madness, whether we

win or lose. We have had much media attn, and hopefully will attract great recruits. This will be a great accomplishment if we can continue to better the university and it's reputation because of it.

Now I say all this reservedly because I know people will disagree with me, so go easy on me. Any thoughts? :ph34r:

IF we win today, that may be a bigger accomplishment than the NO Bowl win. But getting to the Dance only required winning a conference that is not much better in basketball than it is in football, which we did in less than decisive fashion if you look at our season conference record. When we won the NO Bowl, we thoroughly dominated the Sun Belt and capped off the season the way we should have.

Agreed. But I don't think publicity alone makes an accomplishment greater than another. If that were the case, the Todd Dodge hiring is probably a greater accomplishment than either.

Dodge getting hired did not get this kind of National Press. Maybe in DFW.

Edited by CMJ

Dodge getting hired did not get this kind of National Press. Maybe in DFW.

I live in the sticks in Arkansas, and people were asking me about the Dodge hiring. I saw it getting major coverage all over the place. Other than the stories that have been done on Rich Young (having more to do with his military service than UNT going to the dance), I have seen zero press here about North Texas basketball.

Just the opposite in Los Angeles.

Same here in Utah. Saw Johnny and Rich on the local Salt Lake and Vegas news the other night. Didn't see squat on the Dodge hiring.

Who cares if it has to do with Rich's military service? It's still NT press.

Edited by JayDub

Who cares if it has to do with Rich's military service? It's still NT press.

The point is, this thread is to answer the question, "What is the biggest accompishment in NT sports in the last 10 years?" The point some are making is that the fact that we are getting press proves that getting to the dance is the biggest accomplishment. I say, "No" for 2 reasons:

1. The press we are getting is NOT primarily for getting to the dance. It is for having a human interest story on the team.

2. Press alone does not make a great accomplishment.

That said, if our boys can pull it out today, I think it just might surpass the NO Bowl win.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

I'm with drex that getting rid of Helwig and hiring RV may be the greatest accomplishment.

Next was the win over Cincy in New Orleans. Remember that season? We played Texas, Alabama and TCU very respectully and should have beated TCU. Dominated the belt, and with what could be one of the greatest defenses in our history beat the C-USA co Champions in the bowl game in front of a captive sports audience of 1.7 Million. The next summer we got the greatest love ever in Dave Campbells.

Next has to be this basketball season.

Next was the hiring of Dodge. I was amazed to see it scrolling across the screen on CNN all night the night he was announced.

IT'S ALL GOOD AND ALL GREEN!

Rick