Cancel School On Friday?

is this a serious thread? cancel school?

The purpose of college is education, not athletics. Its great we are in the tournament, but it is not the primary purpose of attending North Texas. I would be disappointed if they did that and I suspect they would get a lot of backlash for doing such a thing.

Spring Break is next week. If people already have their midterms out of the way, just skip. Or let the professors decide if they want to hold classes Friday.

No reason to cancel school.

what "big" schools have done this in the past?

also, my post should not be viewed as anti-athletics- I'm quite the opposite.

Edited by Eagle1855

is this a serious thread? cancel school?

The purpose of college is education, not athletics. Its great we are in the tournament, but it is not the primary purpose of attending North Texas. I would be disappointed if they did that and I suspect they would get a lot of backlash for doing such a thing.

Spring Break is next week. If people already have their midterms out of the way, just skip. Or let the professors decide if they want to hold classes Friday.

No reason to cancel school.

Well, you must not be a student. And just so you know, the face of a university IS IT'S Athletics. They pushed back finals a few years ago for the New Orleans Bowl and I think this is much bigger of a deal. Cancel class friday, that way we can leave on Thursday night and see the game Friday morning.

Being in the NCAA Tourney is PLENTY reason to cancel ONE day of school. You must be a prof.

---Considering 2,700 of the 33,000 studnets went to the Tournament game IN DENTON....... it ain't gonna happen....... Students can gripe but maybe they should have showed up and then they would have a case to argue. Those who want to go and have no test or projects due Friday can hit the road on Thursday after classes...

--My other college and where I work, Midland College.... just make the Final-16 tournament in community colleges for the 3rd time in four years.... We won once with Spud Webb (of Dallas) We now have former players playing for Texas, Weber, and Washington State (all tournament teams). We had a Gonzaga player last year. UNT needs to look at some of the better JC's when recruiting ----there is a lot of talent at these places..... some were overlooked after HS and matured (with a lot of playing time) and some had SAT problems but have proved themselves in the class-room. Can't speak for other places but we sure don't give away grades, ask those 4-year school guys who return to us in the summer. .

---Considering 2,700 of the 33,000 studnets went to the Tournament game IN DENTON....... it ain't gonna happen....... Students can gripe but maybe they should have showed up and then they would have a case to argue. Those who want to go and have no test or projects due Friday can hit the road on Thursday after classes...

--My other college and where I work, Midland College.... just make the Final-16 tournament in community colleges for the 3rd time in four years.... We won once with Spud Webb (of Dallas) We now have former players playing for Texas, Weber, and Washington State (all tournament teams). We had a Gonzaga player last year. UNT needs to look at some of the better JC's when recruiting ----there is a lot of talent at these places..... some were overlooked after HS and matured (with a lot of playing time) and some had SAT problems but have proved themselves in the class-room. Can't speak for other places but we sure don't give away grades, ask those 4-year school guys who return to us in the summer. .

[/quot

You people suck that don't want school cancelled. I did my part, I was at every game. What do all the STUDENTS think we shoud do? I guess I should have directed this to students and not alumi. I thought the alumni would support us few students who are part of the Mean Green Faithful.

You people suck that don't want school cancelled. I did my part, I was at every game. What do all the STUDENTS think we shoud do? I guess I should have directed this to students and not alumi. I thought the alumni would support us few students who are part of the Mean Green Faithful.

nice post. These people that "suck" are the people that donate money to the athletics department who provides the teams that play in the GAMES YOU ATTEND. So chill out.

Im not a student, I graduated 3 years ago. Just skip your stupid class. Its only one class, and its right before spring break.

----Never said I opposed some classes being cancelled..but all of them... let each prof decide..... but with MWF classes something should be able to be worked out for those who want to go. Like I said the students (in general) have NOT shown a lot of interest until they want out out of class.... Too bad they could not walk across campus to a game when we had games in DENTON..

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

nice post. These people that "suck" are the people that donate money to the athletics department who provides the teams that play in the GAMES YOU ATTEND. So chill out.

Im not a student, I graduated 3 years ago. Just skip your stupid class. Its only one class, and its right before spring break.

Some profs take attendence and so many missed classes result in an F. Plus, I believe our Student Service Fees pay for Athletics as well. And by these people I think you were the only one that was opposed to not cancelling classes my friend!

Ladies, ladies!

I appreciate both sides of this argument. I'm sure lots of the faithful student-fans would like to go and not be penalized by the professor. I have an online test scheduled for Friday and the prof isn't budging.

I also understand that this is an institute of learning and the priority should be that.

All that being said, I don't think the school is going to be closed, much as I would love to have my test delayed for 10 days. :D

Edited by UNTflyer

Some profs take attendence and so many missed classes result in an F. Plus, I believe our Student Service Fees pay for Athletics as well. And by these people I think you were the only one that was opposed to not cancelling classes my friend!

well if 20 people on GMG.com agree, I guess that makes me the idiot! Have fun in class!

And if I was "opposed to NOT canceling classes", that would make me FOR canceling, right? Perhaps skipping class isn't in your best interest anyways, my friend.

Edited by Eagle1855

SKIP CLASS... If the teacher takes attendance, looks like you wont be there. back in my day, a year ago, haha, Skipping class was NOTHING. I never went!

It's a tad bit harder in doctoral school to miss classes. I am so dissapointed. I followed the team the entire year, and only missed two home games (the non-d1 games) the entire season while in Kentucky for X-Mas, though I still watched them play online. Very dissapointing. I am even going to miss the first 30 minutes of the game b/c I have class until noon... bummer.