From Espn.com Bracketology

bdan2002

Auto bids are in CAPS. Records are D-I only. Opening-round game is Arkansas State (Sun Belt) vs. Mississippi Valley State (SWAC).

The winner would get Floria (1) in the first round in New Orleans.

They have TAMU - CC as a 13 seed playing Souther Illinois and Delware State as 14 seed. I think we could beat those teams.

Please remember that these articles are based on the best GUESSES of the authors. No matter how educated these GUESSES are, no one will really know for sure until Selection Sunday, which is the best hour of TV in sports. There are still tournament results that could severely alter the projections of the "experts".

We continue now with the tournament seeding speculation, already in progress...

ESPN Radio just said it is an Auto Bid to the Tournament.

The Play In IS an auto bid part of the tourney. People don't seem to grasp this.

So by getting into the Field of 65 we would have gotten the bid.

Edited by CMJ

these are about as accurate as the nfl mock drafts, and we all know how those go

Actually, no they aren't usually that far off.*

*Unless they are filled out by Billy Packer.

I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in ESPN's bracketology predictions. Yesterday the SBC had a 15 seed when they had picked Western Kentucky to win the SBC tourney.

Doesn't that prove they are watching basketball? Projecting ASU to win and finish 19-14 with a bad OOC schedule is a lot different then a 10 loss WKU team.

They predict the most likely scenarios.

I HATE ESPN more than words could ever express... and I know this board hates every rating system and loves to assume its unfair (except that well respected mid major 25 poll found in the small of some fat chicks back) but come on...

Well, until the selection committee reveals their seeds, I'll hold out hope that we won't be in the play-in game...it's such a kick in the nuts to have to play another game just for the right to get pummeled by a #1 seed. That being said, we would still have a LOT to gain from appearing in the play-in game with the national attention we would garner from being the first and only NCAA tourney game on at the time.

First things first though, we have to win tonight before any of these scenarios can be realized.

Well, until the selection committee reveals their seeds, I'll hold out hope that we won't be in the play-in game...it's such a kick in the nuts to have to play another game just for the right to get pummeled by a #1 seed. That being said, we would still have a LOT to gain from appearing in the play-in game with the national attention we would garner from being the first and only NCAA tourney game on at the time.

First things first though, we have to win tonight before any of these scenarios can be realized.

Not to poop in the cheerios, but can anyone name the two teams from last year's play-in game without looking?

Who watched it last year?

Anything is HUGE progress and should be CELEBRATED, but saying we're getting this crazy exclusive free ad space might be over-spinning...

To review:

-Win tonight

-Be happy about it

-If we get play-in game, win it

-Prefer to get a 15 seed or higher 16 so we can go straight to the real thing.

-Upset Ohio State after is revealed that Greg Oden is 39

-Become George Mason

Not to poop in the cheerios, but can anyone name the two teams from last year's play-in game without looking?

Anything is HUGE progress and should be CELEBRATED, but saying we're getting this crazy exclusive free ad space might be over-spinning...

To review:

-Win tonight

-Be happy about it

-Become George Mason

Wasn't it Monmouth vs someone? I remember watching the game.

Other than that I hear ya tho.

The only reason the pre-release speculation focuses so much on the RPI is that it's the only information the non-informed non-insiders have. NCAA rules are explicit in saying that the seedings are subjective, based on hours of conversation between the pickers, and that they include lots of quantitative and qualitative information.

Some examples mentioned in the NCAA rules are the team's record in the last 10 games (we're 7-3), the team's performance during periods of difficulty, such as the absence of key players/coaches, the emotional impact of key games, and the inevitable travel fatigue during long road trips.

The rules are also explicit in saying the RPI is only one tool for seeding, and not necessarily the best one, because it doesn't account for the subjective factors mentioned above. So RPI comparisons, while probably fairly accurate when looking at the whole NCAA, break down when the pickers are discussing specific teams. The pickers' job is to set up the best tournament possible, not to choose the winners and losers in advance.

The play-in game is necessary because there are 34 at-large invitees and 31 automatic-bid conference winners. That's why the 64 and 65 seeds battle it out to start things off. But both of those teams can hang up the NCAA tournament 2007 banner and be proud as hell, as they should be.

I'll be proud of these guys tonight whether they go on or not. If they win, I won't care about the seed. I'll be ecstatic with a play-in, a buy-in, a sneak-in, or a job selling concessions. All I care about is that our guys get to go. After Sunday evening, there will be 260 teams that won't know how that felt.

To review:

-Win tonight

-Be happy about it

-Become George Mason

Without looking...Monmouth won last year's play-in game in very exciting fashion with lots of three pointers. Aside from that, what I remember most was that the records of the two play-in teams were much less than stellar. They played Winthrop or Hampton...can't remember but I do recall they had a sub-500 or .500 record. That's why I have faith that our 23-10 record (if we win tonight) earns us a better opportunity than the play-in game. Now, I can recall Monmouth was in the play-in game but I can't remember any of the four 16 seeds that lost to the ones. Still, you can't discount the media exposure we'd receive simply because YOU didn't watch it. Aside from those we're actively recruiting, how many area basketball recruits saw a UNT basketball game this year?? How many from outside the area?? Well, every one of them will now have the opportunity to see a game and decide whether our style of play suits his skill set. If we gain interest from just ONE recruit who otherwise had not considered UNT, that's a HUGE accomplishment.

And...here's a different perspective than ESPN. He may be predicting ASU to win tonight, but he's not predicting the SBC winner to be in the play-in game (of course that could change if we win): Projecting the Seeds

15: Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Niagara, Belmont, Eastern Kentucky

16: Arkansas State, Weber State, Delaware State

Play-in: Central Connecticut State vs. Mississippi Valley State