Damn High School Player Of The Week

Marty

SportsDay boys basketball player of the week: Kevin Busby-Hayden

10:48 PM CST on Sunday, February 18, 2007

By DAMON L. SAYLES / The Dallas Morning News

dsayles@dallasnews.com

What he did: Busby-Hayden helped Spruce capture the top seed in District 13-4A with a 19-point performance in Tuesday's 64-57 win against Lincoln. He followed that by scoring 35 points and making seven 3-pointers in a 77-68 win Saturday against Carter at the DISD Boys Postseason Classic.

Kevin Busby-Hayden The stats: Busby-Hayden is averaging 15.2 points, 4.6 assists and 3.7 rebounds. He has made 83 3-pointers. Busby-Hayden made 115 3-pointers last year.

Who is he? Busby-Hayden, 18, is a 6-0 guard for Spruce (24-7). He was an all-state selection last year.

He said it: "I'm just glad we won the games. We're so underrated; no one expects us to win. We beat a top 5A team [Carter], so this is motivation for the playoffs."

Coach said it: "He can do what he did all the time, but he's so unselfish. He dropped his scoring this year to concentrate on rebounding and assists. He's become a complete player." Lyndon Love

Did you know? Busby-Hayden's father is Donnell Hayden, who was a standout guard at North Texas in the early 1990s. ... Busby-Hayden is the older brother of Lincoln girls standout Kimetria Hayden. He said the two play each other at least twice a week.

SportsDay boys basketball player of the week: Kevin Busby-Hayden

10:48 PM CST on Sunday, February 18, 2007

By DAMON L. SAYLES / The Dallas Morning News

dsayles@dallasnews.com

What he did: Busby-Hayden helped Spruce capture the top seed in District 13-4A with a 19-point performance in Tuesday's 64-57 win against Lincoln. He followed that by scoring 35 points and making seven 3-pointers in a 77-68 win Saturday against Carter at the DISD Boys Postseason Classic.

Kevin Busby-Hayden The stats: Busby-Hayden is averaging 15.2 points, 4.6 assists and 3.7 rebounds. He has made 83 3-pointers. Busby-Hayden made 115 3-pointers last year.

Who is he? Busby-Hayden, 18, is a 6-0 guard for Spruce (24-7). He was an all-state selection last year.

He said it: "I'm just glad we won the games. We're so underrated; no one expects us to win. We beat a top 5A team [Carter], so this is motivation for the playoffs."

Coach said it: "He can do what he did all the time, but he's so unselfish. He dropped his scoring this year to concentrate on rebounding and assists. He's become a complete player." Lyndon Love

Did you know? Busby-Hayden's father is Donnell Hayden, who was a standout guard at North Texas in the early 1990s. ... Busby-Hayden is the older brother of Lincoln girls standout Kimetria Hayden. He said the two play each other at least twice a week.

Well, it's good to see that this Hayden dishes the rock and is unselfish. I've never seen more of a ball hog than his dad when he plahed at UNT....lol. Well, his dad is proably all we had that year so take that with a grain of salt. Jesse was still young.

If I'm not mistaken, Ronnie Morgan's son is the star player at Oak Cliff this year. If we did a better job keeping a good relatonship with our former basketball players, then we might have 2 very sold recruits for next year in Morgan and Hayden.

Well, it's good to see that this Hayden dishes the rock and is unselfish. I've never seen more of a ball hog than his dad when he plahed at UNT....lol. Well, his dad is proably all we had that year so take that with a grain of salt. Jesse was still young.

If I'm not mistaken, Ronnie Morgan's son is the star player at Oak Cliff this year. If we did a better job keeping a good relatonship with our former basketball players, then we might have 2 very sold recruits for next year in Morgan and Hayden.

Oh, and I mght add that we didn't get Brett McDade to commit here. son of former UNT player Fred McDade.

Oh, and I mght add that we didn't get Brett McDade to commit here. son of former UNT player Fred McDade.
"BoBo" Morgan is headed for a program that makes the tournament on an annual basis. He has NBA potential. Busby-Hayden might be a recruit, but like his dad, who went to Baylor first and then transferred to a JUCO, is a flake with grade problems.

Kimetria Hayden is a player as well, might have a chance at her if we get on her right now.