Hearing A Rumor

Harry

Staubach has been out of the league for almost 30 years now, and has had nothing to do with UNT what so ever besides talking to coach dodge once a couple of years ago.. why didn't we do a tribute to Craig James last season when we played SMU?

There's absolutely no comparison between Staubach & Craig James. Plus the game will be played on Veteran's Day weekend. Staubach is an Annapolis grad, Navy vet & well respected sports figure residing in the Metroplex. Fitting that he would be at the game and be recognized.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do some thinking people. Roger is a famous sports celebrity of sorts, after all, he did lead the Cowboys through some great years. He's also a graduate of the Naval Academy and a real estate developer in the DFW area. Sooooo.......why not invite Roger the Dodger to perform the coin toss along with Joe Greene with a Patriotic theme of course. However, prior to the game, Rick Villareal, the NT Development contingent, and those that would be instramental in NT getting a new football stadium (Dr. B) someday should give Roger a tour of Eagle Point and point out the endless possibilites of development next to the new stadium site.

Guest GrayEagleOne

If we recognize our own exclusively, then we need to give back the honorary degrees that the university has bestowed in the past. Those have been given to people that have had little or no connection to UNT previously. Recognition to outsiders is not without precedent and it should always be that way.

This game occurs on Veterans Day weekend. We are playing Navy. Roger Staubach is arguably the greatest/best known former Navy player. Roger is a veteran. He is also one of the best known and highest acclaimed personna in the Metroplex, which includes Denton. He has also performed great deeds that have brought better conditions to the DFW area. Recognizing, acclaiming, honoring him (however you want to frame it) is an unselfish act that will also gain favorable publicity. Now, if that's not a win-win situation, pray tell me what is.

How do you folks stand on motherhood? Or do a good deed daily? I think that we are back to the wrinkled bill.

If we recognize our own exclusively, then we need to give back the honorary degrees that the university has bestowed in the past. Those have been given to people that have had little or no connection to UNT previously. Recognition to outsiders is not without precedent and it should always be that way.

This game occurs on Veterans Day weekend. We are playing Navy. Roger Staubach is arguably the greatest/best known former Navy player. Roger is a veteran. He is also one of the best known and highest acclaimed personna in the Metroplex, which includes Denton. He has also performed great deeds that have brought better conditions to the DFW area. Recognizing, acclaiming, honoring him (however you want to frame it) is an unselfish act that will also gain favorable publicity. Now, if that's not a win-win situation, pray tell me what is.

How do you folks stand on motherhood? Or do a good deed daily? I think that we are back to the wrinkled bill.

we must all consider the source of the comment against Staubach. Personally it would be a great tribute, I especially like the coin toss idea.

Gitter Dun

Staubach should not be honored by UNT.. he has never had an affiliation with this university, i'm not sure he even knows this university exsists, and besides the idea is just strange.. that would be like us playing Pitt and them honoring Mean Joe Green, it just doesn't make any sense? With the exception of Jackie Robinson, i've never seen another team honor another team's former player.. Now if we decided to do an extended halftime or pregame ceremony honoring people in our armed forces (past and present), I think that would be a very nice touch and I believe the people who support the Navy would really appreciate it too

Ladies and gentlemen, he's not just a men's and women's basketball expert....

Viva la Triple Threat!

Some of the younger fans may not know this, but:

Roger won the Heisman Trophy in 1963.....and upon graduation....spent four years serving in the Navy. He didn't begin his NFL career until he was 26 or 27. So, to be away from the game of football for four years, start his NFL career at the age of 26/27.....and to still make the NFL Hall of Fame, is just another reason why some of us long-time Cowboy fans think so highly of the man.

Trivia question: Who caught the very last pass which Roger threw in the NFL???

Some of the younger fans may not know this, but:

Roger won the Heisman Trophy in 1963.....and upon graduation....spent four years serving in the Navy. He didn't begin his NFL career until he was 26 or 27. So, to be away from the game of football for four years, start his NFL career at the age of 26/27.....and to still make the NFL Hall of Fame, is just another reason why some of us long-time Cowboy fans think so highly of the man.

Trivia question: Who caught the very last pass which Roger threw in the NFL???

Unfortunately for Roger, it was Herb Scott, one of the Cowboys offensive linemen at the time. It was a desperation toss at the end of the 1979 playoff game against the Rams that ended up in Scott's hands. Yes, the Cowboys were flagged, and yes, Roger's career and the Cowboys' season was over.

With the exception of the loss to the Steelers in Super Bowl XIII the year before, that was the most frustrating Cowboys defeat I ever saw (keep in mind my viewing of the Cowboys started with Super Bowl VI). There were a number of mistakes made by officials in the latter part of that game, and some stupid moves made by the Cowboys that contributed to the loss against the Rams that year. But I digress...

Edited by Greenblood94

Unfortunately for Roger, it was Herb Scott, one of the Cowboys offensive linemen at the time. It was a desperation toss at the end of a playoff game that ended up in Scott's hands. Yes, the Cowboys were flagged, and yes, Roger's career and the Cowboys' season was over.

That is correct.